1st try at Fresh Sausage

Started by FLBentRider, August 01, 2008, 07:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I am attempting the Ginger Sage breakfast sausage recipie from Charcuterie. I have the grinder attachment for the KitchenAid mixer.

I cut the recipe to 3 lbs, since that was the size of the pork butt that I had.

Question. How long should it take to grind 3lb of pork in the kitchenaid ? Seems like it took forever.

I probably left too much of that suet stuff in the meat. I just diced up the entire roast.

The final product was still pretty tasty, but it took alot longer than I expected, like 20-25 minutes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Probably that long...guess it depends on how big the chuncks were you cut it into? I cut mine fairly small...like "stew beef". Extra fat the same size. I always add more fat...no matter how the pork looks. I also chill it...quite firm...lets the fat go thru the grinder easier...

FLBentRider

I'd say they were one inch pieces or so. I had it in the fridge, I guess next time I will partially freeze.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Yeah...the grinding process warms up the fat in both the meat and the extra (if you put it in). And, make sure you add the powdered milk. It makes a huge difference. I learned that from this site....made many a dry sausage before!!

Habanero Smoker

It usually only takes me about 15 - 20 minutes to grind 5 pounds with my Kitchen Aid. I have the 5 qt. Professional HD model. It has a more powerful motor then the regular models, and I've only seen Sam's Club sell them (maybe Costco).

For the Kitchen Aid, it is better to cut the meat in strips. It doesn't matter how long they are, but make them less then 1 1/2 inch wide. Set your speed at 4 or 5, this should speed up your grinding; just make sure every thing is cold.

As for the fat, if I'm going to grind the whole cut I don't trim my butts. They generally have at least the 25% fat needed, so no additional fat is required.

I would like to know your opinion of the Ginger Sage breakfast sausage. I didn't care for it, and after a few days the texture was a little too mushy for me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

So it is normal to have the grinder plate holes all jammed up with this stringy fatty stuff ? or will partially freezing fix that ?

LQ,

The recipie didn't call for powered milk.

Habs,

The sausage has a very intense ginger flavor, that was the test pieces. The teen-agers seemed to enjoy it. I'll let you know.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

I think I have the same KA as Habs and it grinds the meat up at a decent rate. I partially freeze the meat so it's firm, about an hour. I leave the strips long if that's the way they cut, this way the grinder grabs the piece and I don't need the wooden plunger to push it through. Try to cut them in about a 1 inch thickness. I also get the strings but not enough to clog the holes, you also find them when you take the grinder apart to clean. Also at the end of grinding toss a couple of pieces of white bread in the tube, this helps get the rest of the meat and fat out and it doesn't alter the taste.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

I love making home made sausage.

nepas

3rensho

Quote... the end of grinding toss a couple of pieces of white bread in the tube, this helps get the rest of the meat and fat out and it doesn't alter the taste.

Good idea, I haven't tried that.  Usually just give what's in the grinder to the cats.  I partially freeze the meat and fat too and also keep the blade as sharp as possible.  Keep a pair of Norton India stones in the kitchen for the latter (cats are usually in kitchen when meat is on offer ;D).

Tom

Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

FLBentRider

It's not been used much if at all, my Mom got it in an attachment pack. The blade did not seem very sharp.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 02, 2008, 04:29:29 AM
So it is normal to have the grinder plate holes all jammed up with this stringy fatty stuff ? or will partially freezing fix that ?

LQ,

The recipie didn't call for powered milk.

Habs,

The sausage has a very intense ginger flavor, that was the test pieces. The teen-agers seemed to enjoy it. I'll let you know.

It is not normal for the for the holes to plug up. I didn't know that was the problem. You must have meant sinew in your previous post. You should trim as much sinew off the meat as possible. Sinew is the tough connective fibers that make up the tendons.

Also a dull blade will cause that. Even after removing most of the sinew, if you have a dull blade other connective tissue will wrap around the blade. Build up of sinew around the blade will also cause smear. Even after removing as much sinew as possible, you should still partially freeze the meat prior to grinding.

A third factor is if you set the motor at too low or too high of a setting. What speed did you use?

Give the sausage a day or 2, the enzymes in the ginger will change the texture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

FLBentRider

SINEW. That was it. I (the sausage newbie) took the butt - diced - chill - mix - grind.

I had the mixer on # 4, as stated in the manual.

It still tastes great. I can't imagine what happens when I do it right.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

Follow up:

The Ginger flavor continues to intensify, to the point where it is not really palatable stand-alone. All you taste is ginger. Chopped up and scrambled with eggs yes, a patty on the side, no.

I would definitely cut the ginger by 50% to 75%.

No change in texture that we notice.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

The recipe I like the best in their book and is the most requested from my family members is the Spicy Roasted Poblano Pepper. The instructions call for stuffing, but you don't have to stuff it. Most sausages don't have to be stuffed. I have also cut the kosher salt to 2 tablespoons, with good results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.