Got some fresh Sockeye Salmon in FL

Started by FLBentRider, July 27, 2008, 06:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

$9.99 / lb - not sure what I am going to do with it, cold smoking is not an option. probably season it up and bake. The same fish was $15.99 / lb last week...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Grayghst

That's a good price. I just caught some in AK last week and looked at it in Costco while I was there and it was $7.99/lb.

FLBentRider

Best Salmon we've had. So _THATS_ what Salmon is supposed to taste like!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

aces-n-eights

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 29, 2008, 02:40:38 AM
Best Salmon we've had. So _THATS_ what Salmon is supposed to taste like!

Glad it was tasty for you!  There's a debate up here on what is the best tasting salmon.  Some say kings (chinook), some say reds (sockeye), but sockeye is definitely in the top tier.  It's all personal opinion... 

How did you prepare it?

The reds are running right now in the Kenai River and the limit is 3 per day.  My wife and i are getting 3-4 a day between us - good stuff to fill the freezer.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

FLBentRider

A little Lawry's Seasoned Salt, Seasoned Pepper, Garlic powder.

Into a 350F oven for ~20 minutes.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Kummok

Glad you got to taste the good stuff, Rider-man! Here's another quick n' easy method for grilling yer next salmon.......  put salmon steaks in a Ziplock freezer bag, add enough Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce to cover, close up the bag and leave it on the counter for 30-45 minutes, then grill at around 375-400°F for about 2-3 mins max on each side. Have everyone sitting down and ready to eat when you pull it off the grill cause it keeps cooking after you pull it off and can get overdone while sitting on the plate.....MMMmmmmmm, makes-your-eyes-roll-back good !! (But a bit messy for the grill cleanup w/ the high sugar content Yoshida's!)

FLBentRider

These were skin on fillets. I'll try that method the next time. There will definitely be a next time If I can find 9.99 / lb again.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!