Never let your wife see your Janitior's closet

Started by Oldman, August 10, 2008, 02:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Susan did a walk-though with me last week. She saw one of our janitor closets and said... I want that in my garage.

What she wanted was the chemical dispenser, large tash can and materials. Anyway  I think the pictures will explain what she wanted. BTW those 4 bottles of cleaning material will last her a good 2 to 3 years. The despenser adds the water to the material... the meter is in the head of each bottle.  This way the meters never get worn out or gunked up.

Oh well as long as she is happy...
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

IKnowWood

Alright, Dude.  You should see what Melwood has in the closets in our facility.  You should branch out and go far north.   Seriously, I wish they had such structure.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Oldman

Quote from: IKnowWood on August 10, 2008, 04:06:06 PM
    Alright, Dude.  You should see what Melwood has in the closets in our facility.  You should branch out and go far north.   Seriously, I wish they had such structure.
    Well thanks!

The problem in the janitorial industry is more than one item.  If you don't mind I will explain a little about my business model and why I have chosen not to follow the industry's norm. (I guess I feel like writing tonight. Hope you feel like reading.)

1.) Generally the building owners / company of 200,000 square feet of facility are looking to pay $00.80 to $00.95 cents per square foot annually.  To contrast that I have a few buildings in the 250,000 square foot size where I start at $1.23 per square foot -- generally that is $65,000.00 to $70,000.00 more annually than the norm. My 50,000 square foot buildings and smaller (I won't take a building under 40,000 square foot) go for $1.35 per square foot.

2.) Employees generally are part time workers earning minimum wage. Their supervisor earns maybe 50 cent more per hour.  They all have full time day jobs and this part time work is not their main stay. Ask yourself if you had a full time job just how enthusiastic would you be about cleaning toilets for minimum wage?

• Now contrast that to (and I hate to use this term--but it's true) a person of limited education who can start a job with me at over $3.00 more per hour than anyone else is paying. Plus at 6 months they recieve health insurance (100% coverage) at no cost to them. And also they receive Aflac -- both health and accident at no cost to them. They are full-time and receive a Christmas bonus consisting of one week's pay. Do you think they enthusiastic about the job? You betcha! 
    • Furthermore, they know there is growth with me. For example I have one girl that started with about 3 years ago @ $10.00 per hour. Today she is a building supervisor earning $17.00 per hour with all benefits. My top employee earns $23.00 per hour, has an expense account, receives benefits and I spiff him a few times per year. (For example I just purchased a year pass with parking at both Bush Gardens and SeaWorld for him and his wife.) Remember we are in Florida -- it is not a state known for good wages.
    • Also everyone knows that those employees that go even further than being estatic that when the position comes up that requires clearance I will submit them for Level 5 full Secret Clearance with the DoD.

3. Generally there is little to no training in my industry. It is not uncommon that week by week entire crews will move on and new persons employed. As one of my Facility Managers told me... They were bring in one or two new employees everyday!

• All of our new employees go through several training programs. For example(s) we employ a professional company to come in that gives a powerpoint presentation and then a hands--on application on how to properly clean a restroom. After the initial training they continue to come in every night until it is mastered by the employee(s). Annually we have a refresher class. 
    • My Site Supervisor who is IICRC Certified gives a two day (6 hours total) class on how to identify and properly remove "spots" from the carpet.
    • My Supervisor who runs the carpet clean division (he is also Certified) comes in and teaches the proper method of carpet maintenance. From high volume extraction to a complete dry system.
    • I give a 2 hour vocal and hands-on class in how to deal with bloodborne pathogens. I cover everything from how to get into a PPE suit to how to identify a prick-pin that is stuck in (walked into) the grout.  (I use to do trauma scenes.)
    • For the first week an employee is never left alone. The second week they are heavily supervised

Each employee has their own complete set of equipment, their own janitor closet with materials. It does not take to long before the light comes on and they realize that they are on the path of becoming something more than just another "muck-suck."

They are becoming professionals. True it is a profession that most would not want, but for them they take pride in the knowledge of what they will become. Very seldom does anyone leave my employment. 

This is only possible when I can sit down with a decision maker and explain what that extra 65k to 70k brings to their table. The only time I ever hear from a Facility Manager is to say thanks or they have some addon work that needs to be done.  I really don't remember that last time I got a complaint. 

The reason I've chosen this business model is I believe that most people if given a chance, paid the best their level is worth, given benefits, trained, and shown respect that the return is greater than the monies I personally earn.  You see it in their eyes.

Olds

Edit: In the area of personnel respect I have a structure. Let's say I see an employee rolling up an extension cord not to specs. (Yes at $42.00 a pop I have a spec for how to roll up extension cords.) I will not say anything to that employee. I will not say anything to the building supervisor. I bring it to the attention of my Site Supervisor. He addresses it with the building supervisor who in turn addresses it with the employee.

Now I do allow the building supervisor to give his / her's point of view on a subject where he / she sees things differently. His / her's re-addressment is with the Site Supervisor. Then the Site Supervisor and I will make a final decision.  I do not micro manage my employees.

I learned early in life that if you don't give a horse its head it will never learn how to run flat out. I guess you could say that I really only have one employee. My Site Supervisor. His employees are our building supervisors. Their employees are our hourly people. [/list]

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
    2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
    MAK 2 Star General
    BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Absolutely perfect arrangement Raye.  I spent 36 years working for the Military - active duty and civil service - and the commanding officers who properly utilized the "chain of command" system were the best commanding officers.  I have also been in business (part time) myself, and have found that when you substantially pay better than other outfits, your employees will bust their butts to make you happy with their performance.  This system may reduce dollar profits to some degree initially, but in the long run it will be worth it.
    Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Olds,

That is one heck of a business model.  I'm a firm believer that there is more than one way to skin a cat and if it goes against conventional thinking, so be it.  It's like in golf.......they don't ask how, they ask how many.  It seems like every thing else you do, you're right on top of it.  If more business owners thought like you do, this working world would be a much, much better place.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra