A National Disgrace

Started by Oldman, August 05, 2008, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Our leaders seem to find money for everything but we should be investing in.

http://www.kentucky.com/211/story/480395.html

Makes me want to puke!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

KyNola

Olds,
With all of the utmost respect that is due to you, being born and raised in Kentucky all of my 56 years and married to a school teacher who just retired after 34 years of service, don't believe everything you read.

KyNola   

Smoking Duck

I know where I live (Indiana) we spent the most we ever have for our two kids for school supplies.  It isn't easy as I'm out of work but it's not like I'm going to deny the kids something for their education.  I think for both of our children it cost me $107 (that's for  fourth and second grade children).  Add on to that that it is going to cost me $197 to RENT their school text books this year and it starts to add up.  I do believe, however, that the teachers are not the source of the problem.  I think if they had their way, it wouldn't cost their students a dime.  I know of many teachers who buy school supplies out of their own pockets.  I think it comes down to the people making the budgets personally.  However, the kids need the education and if I have to beg, borrow or steal, I'll see to it that the kids have what they need.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

sodak

Amen, brother!

Where I live in South Dakota, I'm amazed, too, that the "list" requires paper towels, etc...  What really shocks me is that I need to supply two dozen sharpened pencils for my son.  That's about one pencil for every six or seven school days...can they go through them that fast?

I have a real tough time purchasing supplies that my property tax dollars should be buying.  I don't believe it is the fault of teachers.  It is the fault of more of us not going to the School Board meetings and letting "them" know we're watching.  School districts in South Dakota make up the largest percentage of the property tax disbursement (by quite a large margin) and they seem to find money for everything else but the basics...that the teachers and parents spend their money on for students...

Wow, you've hit a nerve with me, Olds, and I couldn't agree more with you...

Wildcat

My wife is a teacher and she spends a lot each year out of her own pocket on items needed in class and for things that some children simply can not afford.  All the schools here publish lists for children/parents stating what is needed in class for the year because the school funding is not adequate to pay for everything.  What many are not aware of is that purchasing items on the list is not mandatory (by law) and if parents/children do not purchase, then the teachers step forward.  The problem, I am afraid, is higher up than the teacher, school administrators, or even the school board.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Sodak;

You've hit a nerve about the property tax. Here in New York it is getting outrageous. There is now a push for legislators to move the school tax off the property owner, and make it part of the state income tax. That will more fairly distribute the cost, and hopefully improve the funding. But I don't see that happening any time soon. :(

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bigredsmoker

For the first time we were not given a list of items from the teacher for school supplies. We have been told that due to a law suit and court decision that lists can no longer be provided. Providing a list goes against the free public education that is to be provided to everyone. If you have to buy supplies it is not a free education. Personally I had no problem buying the supplies. So now, my taxes will probably go up even more because not only am I buying my kids supplies I am helping to buy other kids supplies as well. Hopefully the schools can buy in such bulk it will be affordable. But knowing how bureaucracies work that notebook I would pay a dime for will cost the school district $5.00! I am not happy with it this way either, why couldn't there be a happy middle ground.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: bigredsmoker on August 15, 2008, 02:55:46 PM
why couldn't there be a happy middle ground.

Because we live in the most litigious society known to man and politicians have put their noses in it as well.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra