Heater light

Started by KDX, December 16, 2004, 06:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDX

I noticed that the light only starts to come on once the slider gets near the half way point (med heat). Is this normal?

Oldman

Yes that is when you begin to see the light. If you have the unit in a dark room you will see the light at a lower setting as it reflects the amount of power you are using.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

birdboy

Good question, I just noticed that last night when I was seasoning the smoker.  I can see were the guru would be a nice to have.  Getting to and holding a specific temp is going require some effort and baby sitting.

nsxbill

Exactly.  It is such a PIA to run in and out of the house to check the temp.  I loved the first one, the Competitor, and now the Procom4 has exceeded all my expectations.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by birdboy</i>
<br /> Getting to and holding a specific temp is going require some effort and baby sitting.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<font size="2"><i><b><u>No way Viceroy.....</u> </b> </i> </font id="size2">  I may of not of smoked as much as Kirk or Olds but I have put a few pounds in the O'l BS.  Please all of you that have this Raptor thing, hay I luv ya man BUT~~~<b><font color="red">I DO NOT BABYSIT MY BS</font id="red"> </b>, except for the first night~~~~ after that I have slep, quite well thank you....I think we give the wrong idea about how good the BS is.  Just like anything you have to get the hang of it.

TRULY~~~~TRULY....The temp of smoking does not have to be to the exact degree.  Smoke ribs and Chicken at 200+/-, Butts and Brisket at 220+/-.  It's that easy.......Yes the temp may move around A LITTLE, particularly after rendering.  But really it's not bad, I think we have all forgotten about the condom cookers and offsets.

Please don't take ofense here.  Man I love how easy my BS is, the Raptor sounds good but truly IT IS NOT a must to make the BS work correctly nor have sleepless nights.

<b>O' no, I think I hear some Black Helecopters coming....</b>

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

owrstrich

im with the lardwack...

i set the polder dual sensor at hi box temp and hi food temp... set the bs to hi... walk away until the box alarm goes off... adjust it down and wait for the food alarm to go off...

i almost always smoke indoors so the temp is always about 70deg-75deg so i know just about where to set the slider after the hi food temp alarm goes off...

it may take a while to figure it out due to outdoor temps and wind...  conditions... but the one who wacks has got the right idea in my opinion...

link to thermo... lnt is scenic here on the socal... may want to wait for a hot windy day if you live in the snow belt...

www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1356461

more later...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think we have all forgotten about the condom cookers and offsets.

Please don't take ofense here. Man I love how easy my BS is, the Raptor sounds good but truly IT IS NOT a must to make the BS work correctly nor have sleepless nights.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I agree with Duck-Man here. After years of smokin' using in-ground pits with a tunnel to the chamber the BS is a piece O cake to use.

I can see how coming from an off-set or bomb shell smoker would cause a noob (newbie) to worry about the BS at first, but that should last only the first couple of days.  

<font size="3"><font color="red">Now I'm going to let you noobs out there in on a secret.  STOP thinking of the BS as a smoker!! Think of it as an oven~~that just happens to smoke.</font id="red"></font id="size3">

When you make this transition in your mind life is going to get a whole lot easier.

On the surface it may appear I have a hand up on some that smoke foods, and with some methods that may very well be true, but I can tell you any cook who ever worked in a cafeteria could come out the gate using a BS like a race house with a     #$%^ on!

Why? he knows how long it takes a gourmet round (40-45 pounds) to cook to rare @ 200 degrees, or a 25 pound ham or a 22 pound turkey. As I said, for him the BS is just another oven that happens to smoke.

If you ever cooked in your own kitchen then you also have a foundation upon to use when smokin' foods in BS. You just have to make those mental adjustments.

On a side note no resturatant I ever worked in or ran did I ever see a person cook a full gourmet round, ham or turkey in an oven hotter than of just below the point of boiling water. Above that point and shrikage is a problem.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

whitetailfan

Ya, I'm gonna kick in my 2 cents here on Mallard's side of the fence.
When I first bought the BS, I figured it for the capacity to do what the Raptor does - just like an oven, select temp and go away.  When it did not do that, I did not panic or worry, you learn to gauge your slide to a temp, and I bet you a pack of bacon that if you asked me to hit a temp on the slide I can do it within 20 deg just by feel depending on the ambiant temp of course.

I used to smoke stuff at the neighbour's place and the wife would get kind of ticked when I was over there drinking cool ones and watching the temp all day and adding wood chips.  Now I have the BS she does not complain about the minimal attention I give to the smoker stating "just gotta go check the temp honey".  Unless you are using this thing every day as your primary oven, I sure as hell want to be able to drink a couple and have some fun.  This is a hobby not a way to cook every meal that needs to be fool proof and labour proof.

JMO.  Dont get me wrong-if you improve the unit and share with us how - that is great, thats what the forum is about.  I dont have Bubba pucks either and I dont <font color="red">put down</font id="red"> the accessory, just like I dont put down the Raptor, its all a matter of how you use the BS and what you want to get out of the experience.  Just make sure you try the smoker in its original form and decide for yourself afterward what add-ons you want or need.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

PAsmoker

I agree with y'all.  I've done many butts ([:0]) & briskets overnight without needing the raptor.  After the temp is stabilized, there really is no need to babysit.  Once you use the BS for a little while, you kinda get the feel as to where to set the temp slider.  It takes some practice & patience.  Relax & have a homebrew. Hey, if you can afford the raptor, go for it.  But, IMHO, it's not needed.  I can't justify the cost of almost another smoker (especially now that Cabela's is selling the black BS @$299 in their retail stores).
The Original PAsmoker

Habanero Smoker

I just don't have the touch. I can not not adjust it correctly, without the temperature dropping way out of range.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

birdboy

Ya PA, I agree the price is prohibitive at this point.  If a temp control unit only cost $50 it would be a no brainer.  I just saw the BS at a local store that was offering a 25% off coupon.. brought the price down to $259 .... cant justify the cost of the temp control unit compared to that.... at least not now [:D]

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">brought the price down to $259 .... cant justify the cost of the temp control unit compared to that.... at least not now<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Well gents and ladies we all have our toys. The Raptor IMO is just another toy. If I'm not mistakened it  cost about 1/2 of what my (gaming) Video Card cost--which was $500.00! Every year my upgrades run about $1000.00 with every other year a complete new unit---3000.00 to 4000.00. As I said we all have our toys~~! Mine just happens to be a KicK A$$ gaming system. Plus we don't even want to get into my 1000.00 sound system for my computer.

Yepper IMO the Raptor is just another person's toy. Maybe one day I will add it to my list of toys...ya never know~~~
Olds