Rib eye steaks.

Started by SmokeySmell, August 13, 2008, 03:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeySmell

I recently cold smoked 2 bone in Rib eye steaks for 1 hour over alder wood, then grilled on the charcoal grill as per normal.

They were excellent.

I took the bone-in rib eyes about 1.5-2 in, thick, rubbed with some olive oil, sea or kosher salt and pepper, in the smoker for 1 hour then grilled on a really hot fire 500-750 deg until your liking.

Rare took about 8-9 min total.

Carter

Hallalujah!!!

I've been sitting here eating my lunch trying to come up with a "so what will I smoke this weekend?"

Problem solved.

Thanks SmokeySmell.

Carter

SmokeySmell

Carter

Your welcome.

I also do the same to burgers, except I don't put olive oil on them, and they are excellent also.

Carter

I just wanted to post and say that I went out and got a couple of Ribeye's on Friday.

I followed SmokeySmell's formula, only I used a roasted garlic infused olive oil (President's Choice) with Kosher Salt and pepper.

I also did an hour of Mesquite instead of Alder.

The verdict:  Amazing.

Thanks again SmokySmell.  That one's a beauty.

Carter

Smoking Duck

If ya want to get a real smoke infusion in your steaks, cold-smoke them, wrap them up tight in plastic wrap overnight and then grill them the next day.  The smoke really seeps into the meat after an overnight of resting.  Course, I have a hard time sleeping thinking about the smoked ribeyes in the fridge but that's where the adult beverages help.  It's very much a cause and effect kind of thing.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

West Coast Kansan

ditto the smoking duck.  especially good idea with prime rib.  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Carter

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I'll ask it anyways:

With cold smoking raw beef, is there any food hygiene risk.

When I did my steaks, I still had the temperature above 150 so it wasn't truly cold smoking.

If I were to go with the pure cold smoking, what steps do I take to prevent food poisening?

Carter

Habanero Smoker

Most only cold smoke their steaks for 1 or 2 hours; so if you keep your smoker 80°F or lower you should be alright. If the steaks had been handled properly, you can just move them from the refrigerator to the smoker and apply your smoke. It's not much more different to leaving them on the counter to warm up prior to placing meat in the smoker. If you don't use the cold smoke set up, open the door and let any heat escape that built up while to generator was preheating; before placing you steaks in.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokeySmell

One thing I noticed is the smoke flavor is in direct proportion to the doneness of the steak.

My wife likes her steak rare and I like mine medium to medium well, after smoking the steaks for 1 hour with cherry wood (the package was already open) the rare steak had a much stronger smoke flavor, my med-well steak hardly had a smoke flavor at all. Now I used a pretty mellow wood, so either I need to use a stronger wood or even perhaps I should smoke them before I put olive oil on them. I was thinking the oil stops the smoke from really getting into the meat.

I like Smoking Ducks idea of smoking the day before.