smoked jalapenos

Started by seemore, August 26, 2011, 10:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

Quote from: pensrock on August 27, 2011, 06:47:17 AM
looks good, thats how i do them but put into dehydrator to finish.
You smoke for 3 hrs then put them in a dehydrator?  Would this be for cost of running the smoker or it does a better job?   ???     I want to start doing my own peppers as well
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

pensrock

i cut them in half, smoke for 3-4 hours then into the dehydrator. the dehydrator does a better job, imho, cause the fan.

if you have an internal fan in the smoker then it should be as good as the dehydrator.

i also took an old 110v fan about 3-4-inches in diameter and put it on top of the vent if i'm using it for drying.
anything to get the air to move.

TMB

Quote from: pensrock on September 01, 2011, 07:19:41 AM
i cut them in half, smoke for 3-4 hours then into the dehydrator. the dehydrator does a better job, imho, cause the fan.

if you have an internal fan in the smoker then it should be as good as the dehydrator.

i also took an old 110v fan about 3-4-inches in diameter and put it on top of the vent if i'm using it for drying.
anything to get the air to move.
Well I got a few of those so may turn my Bradley into a hybrid dehydrator   ;)
Thanks fo the info  ;D
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

MrRaven

wow - these are looking really good. really good. I think I may have to try doing this myself!!! How long do they take in a dehydrator? I don't have one of them. Is there any way you could use an oven?

pensrock

you could use the oven but you probably would have to evacuate the house from the pepper fumes. i do not know how low the setting on the oven goes, i would suggest 140 f if able to do so, keep the door cracked for air flow. but i'm serious about the pepper fumes, they will be pretty strong.

muebe

Quote from: pensrock on September 09, 2011, 08:30:35 PM
you could use the oven but you probably would have to evacuate the house from the pepper fumes. i do not know how low the setting on the oven goes, i would suggest 140 f if able to do so, keep the door cracked for air flow. but i'm serious about the pepper fumes, they will be pretty strong.

I am going to give this a try. I have a OBS with a convection fan and Auber. I could go lower than 140F so do you think 130F would be better? And I was thinking 3 hours of hickory....Just need to get a spice grinder. Will a food processor work for grinding spices? I have a mini-prep and a full size food processor.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

pensrock

hickory will be good, 140 f is what i set the dehydrator for. not sure how fine a food processor will get, i do not own one. but you can get a spice grinder for $10-15 just about anywhere. do the grinding outside as well, preferably with the wind or a fan at your back. it only takes one shot of the powder in your face and you will understand why.  :o

i like to cut the peppers in half and lay the cut side down on the racks for smoking, but you could put a slice in one side to let the smoke in, not sure how well they take the smoke or how long to dry but it will work. thinner skinned peppers like cayenne and habs, i do not cut in half, only cut the tops off.

if i just want unsmoked/dried cayennes, i pull the whole plant out of the ground/ shake the dirt from the roots/ and hang upside down in the garage. they dry beautifully, penos won't, they hold too much moisture and want to rot.

i have taken a handful of the smoked penos, not dried, out of the smoker and put into chili for a smokey taste. but most get dried, they are easy to store and can be ground or just crushed up depending on how you want to use them.

i'm sure there are others that can add with their own ideas or how they do pepper, thats nice about this place, you get a lot of ideas and find the one that works best for you.  :)