Cleaning/maintanence question

Started by Memquisit, August 26, 2008, 09:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memquisit

I just got a Bradley Stainless Steel Smoker.  I have read the owner's manual and it has made reference to cleaning.  Naturally I'd expect to clean the smoker before using it, especially the grates, drip pan, etc.  The manual said in one place, clean the smoker after each use.  In another place, it said to "season" the tower. 

I know to clean the grates after each use, and the tower does not look like it would be hard to clean after each use, but I'm thinking that cleaning the tower would inhibit the seasoning.

This is my first electric smoker.  I have been using a charcoal smoker and I never clean the unit itself, just the grates that the food comes in contact with.

The seasoning makes sense to me, so which is it?

Carter

I think you're bang on Memquisit.  I don't think I've heard of anyone cleaning their tower very often.  Every couple of spokes, I take a look at mine to make sure I don't have any fat that's collected anywhere, and I'll clean that out, and I'll sometimes give a quick wipedown with a damp rag, but that's about it.  Not sure what others do.

Now there are people on this site who clean open up and clean their puck feeder from time to time.  I've never done it, but have been thinking I should.  I've owned my Bradley for a year and a half now.

Anyone feel like chiming in on how and when they do that?

Carter

KyNola

Welcome aboard,
I clean the racks, the drip pan and the water bowl.  I wipe the edge down where the doorseal meets the tower.  Otherwise, someday you will open the door and tear your seal off.  I clean around where the vent is as it will get "sticky" and not want to turn easily.  I have never cleaned the inside of the tower.  If you develop some "flaking" you might knock that off with wadded up paper or foil but beyond that, I pretty much leave it alone.  I have opened the puck feeder and cleaned it as it will fill up with particles of bisquettes.

Enjoy your smoker,
KyNola

Memquisit

Thanks, KyNola.  That's pretty much what I expected, but being a newbie I needed some reassurance.

Also, thanks to Carter for pointing out cleaning the smoke generator.  I probably would have run into some problems there.

Tomorrow I'm going to "season" the smoker and do some ribs on Thursday.  Got to break it in!

beefmann

Mem

welcome abord. i have a obsfor almost 2 years now and  have  loved it  very  much, when you  season it  keep the top vent open at lease 1/4 open during "ANY " smoking process..  during the "COOKING " process close  the  vent. and to help to make things more enjoyable cover the racks in aluminumn foil and place your meat on it.. pull the edges  of foil  closer to the meat .. this will allow the smoke to get to  the meat and help on clean up.

as for the  smoker tower i wipe mine down every few smokes depending  on the build up.. i remove flakes and what not  just to be sure that there  is no flakes  getting  onto other  meat.  i do clean the racks, drip pan ,door edge and gasket regulary basis got to keep them clean.

once every 20 to 30 smokes remove the smoke  generator , open it and clean it.. remove any  debri from the interior, clean and remove any grease  build up etc. what i  use to  do this is a steam  shark and it  does a fantastic  job.. part  of my  smoke house..

hope this  helps aand have  fun we all are to help one  another. i was  once a newbie like u

beefman

beefmann

hey MEM

check this out i  just cleaned my  smoker after 8 months of  use every  other  week and i decided to  give it a  good cleaning

look at all the pictures an should give you an  idea of  what happins  over time and is a  judgement  call of  when to  do a good clean.. over just  a  wipe down which  should be done  after each  use

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7926.0

you  will  have to cut and paste the  link to your  address bar

Beefmann

HCT

Kynola hit it on the head, make sure you clean around the door, it does get sticky. I also check around the heating element for any buildup and gently blow out the generator with my air comp.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

JDNC

If anyone's interested,  I found a product the other day I think some may find useful for cleaning the exterior and around the door seal.  After attempting to clean around the door seal like I've read with water and soap, 409, Windex etc., I couldn't find anything that would work. I just could not find anything that would remove the smoke residue. The other day I picked up a product in Wal-mart by called "Easy-Off with "ProShine" Stainless Steel cleaner" for cleaning the exterior of stainless appliances.  Now, this is not an oven cleaner...it smells like Windex, but I found it would break down the brown smoke residue around the door when everthing else I had tried would not.  It works slowly, but after 2 or 3 wipes with a paper towel wet with the product my door is clean as new.   

Habanero Smoker

Denatured or 90% Isopropyl alcohol also works well for removing the residue for the seal and smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JDNC

You know...Hab's, I have plenty of denatured alcohol. I'll give it a try, thanks!

caustic casey

I never touch the inside- I clean the drip pan and trays, and wipe the door seal with hot water.

It's like a wok, you gotta keep it seasoned....

Pheasant Hollow Farm

All I clean is the racks, seal and water pan, and box temperature sending unit.

I didn't notice anyone mentioning the box temperature sending unit. Although I am not a Bradley owner, I have a MasterBuilt smoker and the sending unit on the back wall can get heavy smoke tar build up. I have also found that this can show up as a big discrepancy (10 -20*) on each smoking event,  with Digital box temperature settings while using the Maverick ET-73 or its equivalent as a box temperature probe and meat probe.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

BillyG

I live up north and had to bring the smoker in to protect it from frost/freezing...  Shamefully admitting that it spent a year in storage.....

does the inside need a full cleaning or should i just plug it in, run it hot for a few hours, knock out any flakes and get back to smoking???