Catching Up Questions

Started by Glaze1112, August 30, 2008, 07:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glaze1112

I've been overseas for over a year. Just got back and wanting to smoke a butt and brisket for Labor Day. I've pulled out my old recipes and knocked the dust off them, but need a little help on timing of the Smoke. I simply can't remember if I keep the smoke pouring in for the full time (16-24 hours), or, smoke for a few hours (4-6 hours) then finish in the oven (or smoker under heat only). I remember the FTC.

Thanks in advane for any help you have.

Ain't never no excuse for not q'in or smok'n......

Consiglieri

Only use the smoke part of the time.  The amount varies, depending on the project.  Most here will apply smoke for four hours or less.  Some food (like pork butt and small loads of ribs) I finish in the bradley.  Brisket and large loads of ribs I finish in the oven.

Welcome back
Consiglieri

KyNola

Glaze,
Welcome back.  I apply 4 hours of smoke and then my preference is to finish in the house oven.  I feel like I can control the heat better that way.

KyNola

beefmann

glaze.

welcome  back

it depends on how much smoke u like, the type of  smoke, typically i use 2 hours of smoke on most everything which is good for me.. have done up to 4 hours and I personally can tell very little  difference between them, then cook in the smoker if you  have a PID controller on the smoker. If not then consider taking the but and brisket into the house  oven..

Juse becarefull of cross contamination between the butt if i is pork and the brisket if it is beef.. there has been reports of  people geting  sick becaause of it..

then cook the meat the way you  like it..

beefmann

FLBentRider

I use at most 4 hours of smoke. I used to use more, but we could not tell the difference.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!