Curing space

Started by Wallaby, September 05, 2008, 07:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallaby

Hi
I have made country ham, breseola and Canadian bacon. I have aged my ham in a shed in my backyard, it hung for 3 months with temps upto 90F. My breseola has hung in my basement. The recommended temp is around 60F. Can I use my shed for both during warm weather, if not why?

Thanks
Mike

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Wallaby!

I thought the 60F had to do with keeping the bacteria activity to a minimum. I can't see where dry-curing in a 90F environment would be safe. I remember reading exactly why, I will look in that book when I get home.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wallaby

Thanks for the quick reply.
Here is the link for the ham infohttp://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/458-223/458-223.html
I know that country hams are aged in a wide temp range but I have been reading other curing/aging ifo and they all talk about controlled temps.
Is it a taste issue or safety because they have been doing hams like this for a long time. Alson how did they control temps before refrigeration?

Mike

Wildcat

When I was a boy in North Georgia, folks processed hams in a meat shed out back.  The only time they killed the hogs to do so it was around the first frost.  I am not an expert in this area, but based on my childhood observations, I would guess the meat should be kept cool.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Wallaby

I agree that as a boy I remember watching my Dad and uncles butcher hogs. it was done in the fall so that the meat would be cold after killing and during curing, which we can do today anytime because of refrigeration. The meat was hung to age, according to all the directions I've seen for country hams they are aged for 3-12 months in any temps.

Mike

Habanero Smoker

As long as you properly cure with a Cure #2 you can cure in temperature in the 90°F, but that is close to the high end of the highest temperature I've seen for dry curing. Most important at the higher temperatures is that you also need to control the humidity a lot better. If the outside of the meat dries too quickly, it will trap moisture inside and spoil. I've tried dry curing meat and haven't been successful yet. I will keep trying.

I haven't read the website you are referring to, but being that it is a cooperative extension there information will be correct.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wallaby

Thanks Hab that is what I thought. I have converted my kids old playhouse to curing shed. I have seen youtube video about hams being cured in barns up 120F. I am not sure how to control humidity. I have three screened windows that can be opened and closed, maybe using a fan to move air. I have to use it because my wife and kids are creeped out by meat hanging in the basement. I don't know if you have been here yet check it out for dry curing meathttp://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=79195

By the way I have some of your Canadian bacon curing in my frig right now will be ready to smoke next Wed.

Thanks
Mike

Habanero Smoker

I had a chance to take a look at the website you posted earlier. In the recipe/formula they use saltpeter; that is not a reliable curing salt. You should use Cure #2, but I don't know what the equivalent values are.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)