briskit

Started by dennis1, September 04, 2008, 03:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennis1

i did a briskit last year and you could of broke a baseball bat with it,it was so tuff.i bought another one to do this sunday for football.i have had the same problem doing ribs also,could someone give me a good reciepe for my briskit and tell me how to smoke/cook it so it comes out tender like its supposed to.i need help with this bad i must be doing something wrong.any help would be apprecieted,thanks dennis ??? ???

beefmann

Dennis ,,

what i would do is trim the fat to 1/4 inch  or less .. then a light covering all over with minced garlic.. fresh is always better.. then let stand  over night as is in the fridge..

then in the morning place your favorite rub on it .. a  bit heavy ( just  be sure that it is totally  covered and not  caked  on ) let stand in the fridge again till an hour befor you  start the smoke and pull it out  of the fridge and place on the  counter..

30 minutes befor you  put in the smoker fire up just the smoke generator and smoke for at  least 2 to 4 hours of your favorite smoke once  compleated turn off smoke  generator and turn on the  heat in the area of 190 to 210 and  cook to an IT of  170 to 180 it  might  take 18 hours of  cook time  plus the  smoke time of 2 to 4..

a brisket is a bit of a tough meat and you  need to break  down the fat in the meat which means a long slow  cook,

i also place foil on the racks so the juices can help keep it moist and help break down the fat in the meat...

may  want to also spray  it  with apple juice or orange  soda through out the cooking  process

hope this  helps

Beefmann

Gizmo

Welcome Dennis1
Try the recipe from WestTexasSmoker on Old's Recipe Site.  He has done a great job with a lot of information.  
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=525

You should get great results.  
Are you using a flat or a whole packer brisket?  
If I were to make a couple of guesses...
I would suspect your previous smokes were not low and slow enough.
You may have been doing a small brisket flat and probably a very lean one.  Good marbeling and fat is a good thing for smoking briskets (and pork butts, bellies, etc.).

If you supply some more details, we may be able to offer some other suggestions.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum dennis!

Giz and beefmann have got ya hooked up...low and slow is the key!!  You might also check out Pachanga's write up on brisket!

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7823.0

Stay at it, brisket can be a finicky piece of meat, but you'll get the hang of it!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum dennis1!

The only thing I can add is that I have had MUCH better luck getting my brisket from my local butcher instead of Sams Club / Costco.

I pay a little more, but the taste is worth it!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dennis1

Thank you guys very much,i will try this out, i hope it turns out good.i will let you guys know on monday or tuesday how it went.thanks again

love the smoke

I have a brisket in the FTC mode right now and I followed WTS recipe exactly and it almost fell apart getting it out of the foil pan and onto Foil for FTC
Should be really good will see in a couple of hours

LTS
LTS

westexasmoker

The trick to getting it out of the pan without it falling apart, is to drain your juice and recover your pan with foil then invert the pan.

C

dennis1

morning everyone need a bit more help,if i put my briskit in applejuice will it make my briskit sweet,we dont our meat sweet is there an alternative?

Gizmo

I don't notice much if any sweetening from AJ but then often I cut the AJ with JD (Jack Daniels  ;)).  If you find AJ to be too sweet, use low sodium beef broth.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

As Giz already stated JD works great or your favorite brew in the fridge is good also.  You just want a small splash in the bottom of your pan, you'll get plenty of juice from the meat still!

C

love the smoke

Well after the FTC it was absolutely delicious, (thanks WTS) it fell apart I needed a very sharp knife or it would have been pulled brisket, which would have worked also. Reheated it this morning for lunch/dinner with some of the Icemans sauce and a lettle squirt on top on the bun holy cow this stuff is awesome tender

I have never had Brisket or beef for that matter that was this tender, THANKS to WTS for posting the recipe, Thanks to ICE for the wonderful sauce.

LTS   
LTS

dennis1

man i love you guys its football season and im going to use my bs more often thanks again

La Quinta

Hey LTS...dude...shouldn't you be doin hotdogs?  :'(

love the smoke

savin that for when the kids have friends over ;)
LTS