Pulled Pork Success!!

Started by rushren, September 08, 2008, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rushren

I got my OBS about two months ago and have had mixed results.  After monitoring this forum and gathering tips and information, I have finally gotten the results I've been hoping for.  Thanks to this forum, the following procedures and tools were crucial in pulled pork success for me:

1. Get the dual probe maverick ET-73 smoker/meat thermometer. 
2. Smoke (hickory) 4 hours between 200-205 degrees.
3. Remove from smoker, and put into a foil covered pan with 1/4 inch of apple juice and finish in 205 degree oven until internal temp of pork reaches 190-195. 

My main motivation for finishing it in the oven was temp. control.  I found myself having to constantly adjust the heat on the smoker, to maintain the 200-205 temp.  With the oven, i just set the temperature and went to bed.  I did discover that my oven runs about 5 degrees hotter than the setting, according to the Maverick thermometer (exactly why this is a crucial tool to have).

I had a 8 pound Boston butt and rubbed with mustard first and then some leftover Emeril's essence  (with brown sugar added) and some McCormick's rub.  Smoked for 4 hours and finished it in the oven....I was very surprised by the total cooking time, because reading some of your posts here, I was lead to believe that cooking time could be up to 18 hours at that cooking temp, but my butt was finished in less than 11 hours!!  I say less than, because I'm not exactly sure when it was finished....The only little 'snag' I had in this process was the max distance for the Maverick thermometer receiver.  I brought the receiver into the bedroom with me and at bedtime it was working fine, but sometime early morning it must have lost the signal.  Because I had set the internal temp. to alert me at 190 degrees....but at 7:30 in the morning it alerted me at 198 degrees!!  I was sure that I had ruined the butt by keeping it in there too long.  I went ahead and FTC the butt and it was falling apart during that process.  About 8 hour later, I finally unwrapped it to check out the damage.  First of all, the pork was still nice and warm...almost perfect eating temp.  And....it was moist, delicious.....and PERFECT!!  I received much praise when I feed the gang gathered for the football game.  It really was some of the best, if not THE best pulled pork I've ever had. 

;D THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE GREAT TIPS!!!!  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Welcome rushren

Glad to hear your pork was a hit.

nepas

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum rushren!

Lots of good info and folks here!  Glad to hear the party turned out so well!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

KyNola

heh heh heh.  It's now official.  You're hooked! :D :D  Congrats on the outcome.  I too am a big fan of finishing in the oven.  I find I can control the heat better plus it makes the house smell incredible.

KyNola

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Wildcat

Welcome rushren.  Sounds like you did a great job.  Congradulations.  When you get a chance, try using some of Iceman's rub, smoke with apple, and then use Iceman's sauce when served.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Welcome rushren,
Glad to here your pork butt turned out well.  One thing to note from your experience is how forgiving pulled pork is and that would also speak to how little temperature variations actually affect the end product on most smoked things (I would exclude sausage from the list).  I originally though my rather expensive house oven had a lot tighter control on temperature than it does.  It is not as wide as the BS but it is not +-1 degree either and it is has a pure convection oven setting.  I typically always use the house oven to finish but then have been long before I bought the BS.  You will find less variation in the BS as the meat temperature rises above 140 deg and if you have the meat loaded about 3/4 of the way up and less of a load.  Higher loads have greater variation.
Post up some pictures so we can all drool over our key boards.  The employers will appreciate getting the tip that their employees are not working when they get the call to fix the keyboards.   :P  ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

rushren

Thanks for all the welcoming words.  I promise to take and post pictures next time...

Wildcat...you suggested using Iceman's rub and sauce.  Is that something we can purchase or are there recipes posted somewhere? 

And while we are on the subject, how much of a difference does a good rub make?  I just used what I had available in the house and I didn't even let it marinate over night...I just rubbed the butt (make up you own jokes) about an hour before smoking it. 

Wildcat

I rub just before putting in the smoker as well.  Spices, when used properly, can really enhance (and sometimes even change) the flavor of food.  Iceman is a member on this forum and will send forum members his products at cost.  He makes and sells his products exclusively in Alaska.  Send him a pm.  His Oinker rub and Sop n Sauce are wonderful products.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ed1978

you can try brining it overnight as well. I did it with my pulled pork and it turned out great. I used a bit of olive oil and lightly stir fried some garlic, onion, and rosemary, then pour 1 quart of apple juice, some salt and add water. Let the solution cool down before putting in the meat. Brine it overnight then rub it with your favorite rub for another night before smoking it.

I had some left over pulled pork that's been frozen for a week. I used some to make some fried rice, turned out great   :) Smoked pork fried rice, never thought it would taste great lol  ;D

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you with us. As you can see, there many friendly folks here who are always willing to help and also to share in your successes.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum rushren!

It's great to hear when it turns out right...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!