Ground beef for chili or ?

Started by schneep, October 01, 2008, 08:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schneep

Is it possible to smoke ground beef (loose) to be used in chili or some other dish (spagetti, etc.) ???

I know meatloaf is possible, so why not loose, maybe on a cookie sheet?  It's going to be cooked again later in either dish, just would like to have the flavor??  ??? ??? ???
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

Tenpoint5

Schneep why not try this if your just looking for the flavor make your chili. Then put it in a 9x13 glass dish and put it in the smoker that way. Your meat is cooked , so you don't have to worry about the Nasties getting in and at 180-200 you are keeping it warm much like in a crock-pot, but your adding the smoke flavor. the smoke will wash off the glass.
Just a thought
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gizmo

I have smoke the meat before but I used whole meat cut into cubes, not ground.  I also smoked all the veggies that I put into the chili as well.
I would suggest making a roll or loaf and smoking it that way especially if you have a high temp screen with the small holes.  The GB won't fall through, won't stick, plus you get full smoke contact.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Another alternative, you could probably smoke the ground meat after breaking it up into 1/2" to 1" chunks. Use a cabinet temperature of 225°F or higher for 40 minutes to an hour then transfer to a large pot or pan and finish cooking it.

Or if you are having concerns about smoking uncured ground meat; if you are using whole tomatoes, peppers and onions, you could smoke them instead. Then prepare them as the recipe calls for. That should impart a nice smoke flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Quoteif you are having concerns about smoking uncured ground meat

Yes, that crossed my mind too.
Manxman

westexasmoker

Did some ground beef for nachos not to long ago, threw it in the smoker for an hour @ 220 on the high temp screens and finished in the fry pan.  I'd say go with a Nepas fatty plan and then make your dish!  Did the fatty one night and then used the leftovers for a batch of spagetti, it was to die for!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

schneep

Well, I decided to try a meatloaf to see what kind of results I get.  If all goes well, I can always make a plain meatloaf and crumble it up afterwards. 

I made up my regular meatloaf that everyone loves, and followed directions I found on the forum.  I don't have the high temp screens (just ordered today) so I started off with it in a pan and after about 1 hour I switched it onto the rack.  I had to put a small piece of foil under it to keep it from going around the rack bars. 
It certainly looks good right now, and I get to play with my new toys, PID and ETC-73.  They are very close in temp readings to each other.  I can see where I'll have to build something to put my smoker and toys on, as right now everything is on the concrete at ground level and I'm too old to work upside down!!

After 2 hours I am at an IT of 106* and smoker holding a perfect 200* used apple smoke for 1 1/2 hours, hope thats not too much.  Damper almost wide open.

schneep

Mixed results.

IT of 160*  meat was still very very undone. 

Removed and into oven @ 350* for another 45 minutes and everything was fine. IT of 180*

Got a great taste so I guess it was not a failure.  But wanted to complete process in the Bradly.