dry curing

Started by tublackdogs, September 20, 2008, 01:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tublackdogs

Hello all:
After reading a lot of the stuff on this site, it's time to post my first question - sorry it's so basic...
I have had a "Little Chief" smoker for some time, but I am new to the Bradley world, with my new 4 shelf digital.
I want to try the "Bradley famous hot-smoked salmon", so I am curing some chum right now.
My question is about removing (or not) the cure before the drying/smoking process.
In the past, I have always brined my salmon, and rinsed it off before allowing it to dry and then begin the smoking.
The Bradley recipe is not very clear as to rinsing the cure off.
    "remove the fish from the cure" and "rub the flesh to even the residual cure", leads me to believe that I am to remove the cure somehow, but how?
Your advice is appreciated!

Habanero Smoker

Hi tublackdogs;

Welcome to the forum.

When ever I use a dry cure I all ways rinse the surface well to remove any of the remaining cure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tublackdogs

Thanks for the advice, Smoker.
I was leaning that way, but I wanted to make sure.
I'm off to rinse the fish off.  I will let it dry in the fridge tonight and start smoking tomorrow.
Next, Kummok's version - it seems to be the forums favorite! ;)

pensrock

You will not be disappointed in Kummoks recipe.  ;D

tublackdogs

Well, this version came out quite well - better than the Chief version as far as the consistency of the finished product and no "protein globs" on it because I could actually control the temperature.
It was also much easier to make - no need to run out and check the pan every 20 minutes.
I am a Bradley convert!
This was pretty good, so Kummok's must be fantastic!

coyote

Another happy smoker ! :) Kummock and Habs will never steer you wrong Tublackdogs. Welcom aboard !!!

Coyote