• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Venison Backstraps

Started by easyridinole, September 16, 2008, 07:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

easyridinole

I shot myself a Doe lastnight while bowhunting and want to try to smoke the backstraps out of the deer. Has anyone ever did this before with good results? I am thinking about putting a little salt and pepper with a little garlic on them the night before and then wrapping them in bacon before putting them in the smoker. While reading some past posts it looks like an IT of about 140 looks like the goal to hit. Not sure what to use for smoke yet, but I am thinking about Mequite. While I am at it I am thinking about doing some bacon wrapped chicken thighs at the same time.  ;D With some of the other meat I want to try to make some jalapeno and cheese summer sausage. Just looking for a few tips or pointers if anyone has them. I should take some pictures of the process and figure out how to post them on here if it turns out well.  :D

Thanks,

Ole 
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

rcger

Quote from: easyridinole on September 16, 2008, 07:46:38 AM
I shot myself a Doe lastnight while bowhunting and want to try to smoke the backstraps out of the deer. Has anyone ever did this before with good results? I am thinking about putting a little salt and pepper with a little garlic on them the night before and then wrapping them in bacon before putting them in the smoker. While reading some past posts it looks like an IT of about 140 looks like the goal to hit. Not sure what to use for smoke yet, but I am thinking about Mequite. While I am at it I am thinking about doing some bacon wrapped chicken thighs at the same time.  ;D With some of the other meat I want to try to make some jalapeno and cheese summer sausage. Just looking for a few tips or pointers if anyone has them. I should take some pictures of the process and figure out how to post them on here if it turns out well.  :D

Thanks,

Ole 

Since you haven't cooked the straps yet, they're probably going to be tough.  Since I don't want you to have any bad experiences, I encourage you to pack them in dry ice and send them to me for proper disposal.   ;D

Rick 
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

easyridinole

Sure and I suppose you want me to send you a few cans of "lip lube" to help get rid of them!  :)

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

smokeitall

Thanks,

Ole 

Congrats on shooting a deer on opening day. (at least opeing day bow season here in Missouri).  I am extremely jealous.  When I get my first deer of the season I was thinking about trying the Canadian Bacon recipe with one of the back straps, the same basic recipe with maybe a couple twists on it.  I also plan on doing about 25 or more pounds of venison jalepeno and cheese summer sausage.  The seasoning that I like is from Curley's sausage kitchen and just adding the extras, but I would imagine any of the seasonings are good.  I made 3.5 lbs of jerky from flank steak last night and it turned out awesome, its almost gone  :)

rcger

[/quote]

Congrats on shooting a deer on opening day. (at least opeing day bow season here in Missouri).  I am extremely jealous.  When I get my first deer of the season I was thinking about trying the Canadian Bacon recipe with one of the back straps, the same basic recipe with maybe a couple twists on it.  I also plan on doing about 25 or more pounds of venison jalepeno and cheese summer sausage.  The seasoning that I like is from Curley's sausage kitchen and just adding the extras, but I would imagine any of the seasonings are good.  I made 3.5 lbs of jerky from flank steak last night and it turned out awesome, its almost gone  :)
[/quote]

Smoke,

Where are you at in MO?  I'm south of St Louis in Jefferson County.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

easyridinole

Quote from: smokeitall on September 16, 2008, 11:11:37 AM

Thanks,

Ole 

Thanks smokeitall! The area I am in is an "EAB" area which stands for earn a buck. These area's in Wisconsin mean you have to shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck so I am happy that is over.  :)

Ole

smokeitall

Thanks smokeitall! The area I am in is an "EAB" area which stands for earn a buck. These area's in Wisconsin mean you have to shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck so I am happy that is over.  :)

Ole
[/quote]

I know what EAB is all too well.  I moved from Wisconsin to St. Louis almost 5 years ago.  I grew up in Kenosha and hunted in Florence, WI and Ashland, WI.  In fact I still make the trip up every November for gun season.  I would be out bow hunting this weekend but I have a meeting in Chicago for the next 5 days.

smokeitall

[/quote]

Smoke,

Where are you at in MO?  I'm south of St Louis in Jefferson County.
[/quote]

I am in Maryland Hts.

Tenpoint5

Easyride, Im heading off to work, so I can't post any pics, but I did a venison loin for X-mass last year. Seasoned with Cookies Flavor Enhancer then rubbed with mustard and reseasoned with CFE then wrapped in bacon. I'm thinking I went to 150 IT. Rested on the counter, cut and served. I'll look in the morning for the pics and will post. It turned out awesome got alot of compliments.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

MRH

easyridinole,

Try shaking some pepper, salt, minced garlic, thyme, and rosmary on a cutting board. Then mix the spices well and scatter out. Rub the meat with some olive oil, then roll the meat into the spices trying to get it covered all over if possible.  Then into the smoker or grill until it hits a IT of 140-145 deg.  Let rest a bit and enjoy.  I have been doing it this way lately and even the wife and kids ask for more.  Don't really follow a recipe just throw the spices together.  Congrats on the doe, our youth season starts this Saturday, so i will be out with my son.

Mark

Tenpoint5

Ok Gonna keep this short and simple. Smoked a Pork Loin and a Venison back Strap wrapped in Bacon.

Bambi ready for the Smoker

The Pork ready for the Smoker

Pulled Bambi at 142 tented in foil for 15 min

Sliced into fork cut-able juicy Tenderliciousness.

Pulled the Pork at 154 Tented in foil for 20 min

Sliced

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

MRH

Tenpoint5,

Looks real tasty!  Here is a post from a loin I did using a prime rib recipe a while back.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6892.msg68007#msg68007

Mark

easyridinole

Thanks MRH! Good luck this Saturday in the youth hunt.

coleman

I was just wondering if anybody has tried the Canadian bacon recipe on venison loins?  And if so what were the results.  I am kind of curious what the texture of the meat would turn out like.  I'm thinking I might have to get my butt in gear and go out for a deer hunt.

Dan

MRH

Coleman,

I did it a while back and it turned out real good here is the link.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4129.msg35707#msg35707

Mark