• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

She's coming today!!!!!

Started by hercules, December 17, 2004, 12:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hercules

Man I'm super pumped, my BS from chezbubba gets here today. I already feel pretty knowledgeable after reading this forum for the past week. Anyway, I was hoping to get a few suggestions. After lunch, (Sorry bossman I'm not coming back[B)]) I was going to pick up some meat for Saturday's madien voyage. What do ya'll suggest for a first time smoke and initial spiced I need to pick up while I'm there? (Already have Smoke and Spice)Do I have to have some gloves to get the meat out of the BS? And finally, How do I talk my wife into letting me smoke everything we eat from now on[:D]?

Thanks for reading

BigSmoker

hercules,
Welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase.  You will need to season your smoker before using it but it dosen't take to long.  I think they recommend 4 hrs worth of pucks or something.  Anyway I'm sure its in the instructions[;)].  After that why not try a couple of whole chickens and the next day a pork butt for pulled Q?  I use a lot of Dizzy Pig rubs but there are some good recipes in S&S.  As for your wife once she tastes the finished product from the Bradley I don't think it will be a problem smokin everything[:D].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

bsolomon

I would agree that whole chickens are one of the easiest things you can start off with and you should get amazing results while learning to use the smoker for the first time.  You can brine (or not), and rub with your favorite.  Many people like to air dry the chickens in the frige for a few hours to help kep the skin crisper.  I do 4 hours of smoke (apple, maple, or pecan are all good choices) at about 200 degrees until the breast temperature is about 160-165 degrees.

They are pretty quick to cook (relative to ribs, butts, or brisket) so the pay off is quick as well.  Regardless of how good they look coming out, make sure you leave enought time for the FTC (wrap in foil, then a towel, and place in a cooler for at least an hour or more).  This lets the juices redistribute and the smoke flavor to better permeate the meat.  Good luck.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

hercules welcome to the fourm, soon you will be infected with the smoker fever, thats a good thing. [:D]

hercules

Almost time ...
about to go by and get supplies (beer and meat) and go home and wait for UPS. Hopefully the instructions with the BS talk about how to "break" it in, like you're talking about BigSmoker or I'll be back with more questions shortly.
Anyway, I think I'll start with a chicken tomorrow and maybe some jerky or a butt on Sunday. I'll let ya'll know how it's going.

Oh I thought of another necessity I need -- a seperate frig in the garage for beer now.  [:D]

hercules

hercules

Almost forgot, Thanks alot for the responses to the newbie questions. I already feel welcome here!

hercules

Cold Smoke

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">a seperate frig in the garage for beer now.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And meat...[:D][:D][:p]

Cold Smoke

birdboy

Hey Hercules,
My maiden voyage will also be this weekend.  Seasoned it last night 1 - 3 hours recommended.

So what flavor of pucks go well with Chicken?

hercules

Cool, I'm also going to do some chicken tomorrow. I'm breaking the BS in right now. The smell is making me hungry. Any adivce on preping the chicken for tomorrow?

hercules

Cold Smoke

Hey Herc- open that Smoke and Spice book and pick a poultry rub that lights your bulb. Apply rub under the skin if you're planning on tossing the skin or apply to the skin and under the skin if you plan on eating the skin.

To brine or not to brine[?][?]- have a peek at previous posts. I like mine brined- adds a little saltiness to the finished product IMO and to my liking. The duck killer would probably suggest draping bacon above the chicken to give it extra kick. I would not argue with that suggestion. Maybe even jalapeno flavored bacon[?][:p]

The main thing- DON'T FORGET- <font color="red"><font size="2">A few chilled pints in a frosty mug on the side!!</font id="size2"></font id="red">

Cold Smoke

birdboy

Herc,
How did it go?  I didn't get to fire mine off this weekend, I'll have to wait till mid-week.  Thats ok, pucks won't come from Chez until tomorrow.  What receipe did you use?  I was thinking of doing a short brine and then a southwestern rub ...

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by birdboy</i>
<br />Herc,
How did it go?  I didn't get to fire mine off this weekend, I'll have to wait till mid-week.  Thats ok, pucks won't come from Chez until tomorrow.  What receipe did you use?  I was thinking of doing a short brine and then a southwestern rub ...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi Herc and Birdboy,

Looks like we're all in the same boat.  Just joined up yesterday-- haven't even had time to get the BS out of the box yet.  I'm going to start with some salmon later this week (my own recipe, but I'm eager to try Kummock soon), followed by pistachio nuts and then a turkey for Christmas Day.  Let me know you guys do, and any other tips for a newbie like me.  I'll do the same . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

birdboy

Sounds good.  I managed to get mine seasoned, now I have to get all the stuff for brines and rubs... didn't usually stock koscher salt, etc.  

I was going to do a turkey for the first attempt ... but it turns out it is 22lbs.  Too big.  So a couple whole chickens first, haven't decided on what wood to use... thinking mesquite with a southwestern rub.

bsolomon

The Bradley makes a very powerful Mesquite smoke, which most people think is too overpowering for even beef.  For poultry, I think you will find the consensus here ranges from Maple to Pecan to Oak, and then to Apple if you like your smoke lighter and sweeter yet.  Most people tend to even steer clear of hickory for poultry.

Keep in mind that you can always add more smoke the next time if it isn't as smokey as you want, but if you over-smoke it, you might not end up with anything that you even consider edible.

hercules

My first try was spoiled by a faulty heat plate[:(]. Called Bradley and a replacement should be here on Thursday. Hopefully I can fire it up Sunday!

hercules