• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Chicken Enchalada's

Started by NePaSmoKer, September 29, 2008, 11:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Wanted something from back home so i whipped up some homemade chicken enchalada's.

Here is the chicken (i use breast meat) but you can use thigh or whatever too. Broiled the chicken with cumin and let cool. Shred with fork and return to pan. Add 1 can of green chili verde and 2 can of water to chicken. Add 1 T of adobo and mix well.

I make my own enchalada sauce  ;D (recipe follows below)

Here are the enchalada's before smoke.

Here they are after 1 puck of mesquite @300*. Then just heat for 20 mins. (you can bake longer too)

Sauce Recipe.

2 cups chicken broth
4 Tbs Gebhardt Chili Powder  (You can use any type)
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 heaping tsp. garlic powder (no salt)
3/4 tsp. salt
1 pinch ground cinnamon (between thumb and finger)
1/3 tsp. sugar
5 Tbs. cold water
5 Tbs. white flour

Directions

In a 2 quart sauce pan add the chicken broth, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, cinnamon and sugar (the sugar eliminates any bitter taste from the chili powder).

Use a whisk to mix everything well. Heat to a boil, reduce heat to a low boil and cook for 3 minutes.

Whisk frequently to make sure all spices dissolve. This is important for flavor and a nice smooth sauce.

While the sauce is on a slow simmer/boil, add 5 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl.

With another whisk mix 1 tablespoon at a time of flour. Whisk vigorously to avoid lumps. If you have lumps here, you will have lumps in your sauce  :o

After 3 minutes of cooking sauce, turn the heat up to high. Very slowly, pour the flour mixture into the boiling sauce. Here you must whisk the sauce vigorously while adding the flour to avoid lumps.

After all the flour is added, continue to whisk for one minute. You can turn the heat down to medium during this time. Just make sure the sauce is boiling.

Turn off the heat. Done.

I take some canola oil in a small fry pan about 1/4" worth. Heat on low. Take corn tortilla and place in hot oil (DONT COOK IT CRISPY) You want it just soft on both sides. I then dip the tortilla in the sauce coating both sides. Place coated tortilla on cutting board and fill with meat and cheese. Pull the mix back towards you some and rol the tortilla. I use some sauce in the bottom of the foil pan. Coat enchalada's with some sauce and cheese. I use colby/jack and some mild cheddar.

Serve with rice and pinto beans  ;D

nepas

La Quinta

NePa...always do jalepenos in the sauce. Curious why you left them out? Usually give them about 15-20 min of smoke...at a fairly high temp...to loosen the skins...then chop em up...and viola...I think the green chilli verde is too mild...I know you use adobo...but no real texture from it? Educate me? Please?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on September 29, 2008, 06:21:12 PM
NePa...always do jalepenos in the sauce. Curious why you left them out? Usually give them about 15-20 min of smoke...at a fairly high temp...to loosen the skins...then chop em up...and viola...I think the green chilli verde is too mild...I know you use adobo...but no real texture from it? Educate me? Please?

LQ

I gotta thnk of the mrs. She is from the PA Amish area  ;D  and dont like all the hot stuff like i do. I like ancho and serrano for my hot mexi dishes.

nepas