Orion cooker?

Started by westexasmoker, September 30, 2008, 09:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

NePaSmoKer

wts

i had one. i was really dissapointed in it.

Its like a mini charcoal convection oven, the charcoal or wood flavors barely gets into the cooking chamber. its spot welded and they start to come apart with the heat.

I also have a La Caja China which i really like for doing larger items.  Simple and produces great roasting. I have the #3

http://www.lacajachina.com/

nepas

westexasmoker

Thanks Nepas

I saw one last time I was in Home Depot (seems like no matter what I'm there for I wind up in the BBQ section) and will agree the construction did'nt look that great, what do expect for 99 bucks!  I just thought for the occasional trip to the lake or tailgateing it might be kinda cool.  Guess I'll just keep toteing my grill with me!

C

westexasmoker

Ya know the more I think about this, I think I'm gonna get one.  We don't get away from the house that often (sad but true...just like everybody else, busy, busy, busy)  But hauling the kettle is kinda a pain, and I've got a small table top grill I can take and this gizmo might fill the gap.  We're talking maybe 3-4 times a year (if lucky!)  And with a cabin up in the woods with no electricity, might just leave it there!  We'll see what the boss thinks!  :D

C

NePaSmoKer

wts

let me know how you like it. I had mine for 2 years before it fell apart.

nepas

Gizmo

Quote from: westexasmoker on September 30, 2008, 05:26:58 PM
Ya know the more I think about this, I think I'm gonna get one.  We don't get away from the house that often (sad but true...just like everybody else, busy, busy, busy)  But hauling the kettle is kinda a pain, and I've got a small table top grill I can take and this gizmo might fill the gap.  We're talking maybe 3-4 times a year (if lucky!)  And with a cabin up in the woods with no electricity, might just leave it there!  We'll see what the boss thinks!  :D

C

I hear Gizmo?

WTS, have you looked at the tailgater's dream grill?  Something like the Freedom Grill?  I saw one in SportMart last year just after Xmas and it was on sale, about 70% off.  I should have purchased it but didn't and by the time I got back to the store, they were sold out.  They hook into your towing reciever so if you are not pulling a trailer, or needing it connected the whole time, these are a great party tool.

NePa, you are the envy of us all, well at least me.  I have seen the La Caja China in action and would love to have one and do a whole hog.  But, lack of space and funds, I will never get there. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

car54

Nepas,

I watched a Bobbie Flay throwdown with the the La Caja China and I have been facinated by them. I think the price of it is reasonable. What have you made in yours?

Brad

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: car54 on October 01, 2008, 02:21:06 PM
Nepas,

I watched a Bobbie Flay throwdown with the the La Caja China and I have been facinated by them. I think the price of it is reasonable. What have you made in yours?

Brad

I have done ribs, turkey, chicken, briskit, roast, and a small pig. (had to lop his head and legs off to get him to fit. Not recommended in the #3) i thought about one of the bigger roasters but i dont cook for that many people. The La Caja is really a simple cooker, 1/2" plywood with aluminum innards bent over the ply, metal top for the charcoal, wooden legs. A smart wood worker/aluminum bender dude (or dudette) can make one easy. The #3 i have i had to assemble it, was easy. I have had mine for 4 years now when it was $189.

Cool roaster but dont come close to the BS or Traeger. The charcoal is on the metal top, the inside is like convection heat. You do have to add alot of charcoal a couple times.

nepas