My butt(s) need help

Started by Redneckinthecity, October 25, 2008, 08:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redneckinthecity

Have been reading (and reading and reading....) on options for 2 picnics that I'm planning to put on tonight.  In hopes of avoiding a disaster (supposed to be feeding 10 tomorrow...) I thought I'd run my plan past the experts.

2 picnics - I brined one Wednesday night and rinsed with water applied mustard/rub to both last night (i wanted to see if I could tell the difference with the brine).

My plan was to put on tonight for 3-4 hours of hickory at 210 and then move to oven inside at 210 (my DBS temp seems to swing drastically, and the weather here isn't supposed to be that great tonight).

plan to FTC when meat reaches 195 internal tomorrow.

My biggest question is - when I move to the oven, I was going to put them in a big roasting pan SHOULD I COVER IN FOIL?

Thanks for answers to this question and critiques of overall plan.

RITC

Buck36

I don't tent with foil in the oven. I don't think it would hurt anything if you did, but the steam may hinder the quality of your bark......my favorite part. ;D

Redneckinthecity

Quote from: Buck36 on October 25, 2008, 08:32:00 AM
I don't tent with foil in the oven. I don't think it would hurt anything if you did, but the steam may hinder the quality of your bark......my favorite part. ;D

Thanks, Buck36.

So along those lines, if I'm cooking in a roasting pan, I should probably put a rack in the bottom and not crowd them too much?

FLBentRider

I have always put mine in a pan and covered with foil.

No problems with bark.

No problems with dry meat either.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Redneckinthecity

that raises another question -

most recipes I've seen say to smoke "fat side" (which I read to be skin side) up.  When I move to the oven, should I keep this orientation?

beefmann

as for smoking  fat  side up .. i  would as well as in the  house  over .. it  helps to keep the meat moist and  juicy... if you  like a  juicy  piece of  meat  and a  crisper  outside i  would smoke  it  first as useal then brind  inside and cook  over  night at 200 to 220 covered and last  hour and  half or so  remove the  cover and bump the  heat to 250  or 300 just  to cristen the  outside.. this is  more of a personaal call and  taste..

Good  luck