Question for the computer gurus

Started by pensrock, November 22, 2008, 12:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Well I was just notified that my ISP is now going to start charging monthly for what was a free anti-virus, anti-spam, security software. I am now looking for something that I can use to replace this with. I do not want to spend a small fortune either. I'm looking for any suggestions. BTW I am using Windows XP.
Thanks,
pens

Mr Walleye

Hey Pens

I've been using AVG which is a free anti virus software for a number of years. I haven't had any problems so I've never done much searching for anything else.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

westexasmoker

I'm with Mike AVG for years now and works fine, I did hear on the news that Microsoft is going to have a free virus software, I think available next year!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

beefmann

antivirus is important to have .. if AVG is free go for it,,, i have had CA Security sute  free from my ISP provider and used it and also have trend micro as well all  good products

Habanero Smoker

I've use ZoneAlarm for years. I used to pay for it, now my ISP provides the ZA security suite for free.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Quoteand also have trend micro as well all  good products
Yepper Trend Micro (Old PC-cillin.) IMO it does not get any better; plus I like all of the options.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Stargazer

Havent used an AV in years, Im all Unix/BSD and Linux and love it to death. Virus free and if hit by a worm just kill -9 #PID and Im clean. But my uncle still uses windows and really likes avast alot.
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

deb415611

Quote from: Oldman on November 23, 2008, 01:24:00 AM
Quoteand also have trend micro as well all  good products
Yepper Trend Micro (Old PC-cillin.) IMO it does not get any better; plus I like all of the options.

I like and use trend micro as well.

FLBentRider

On Microsoft platforms, I use Corporate version of McAfee Enterprise ViruScan, and IBM Endpoint security (blackice / proventia desktop)

I have heard good things about AVG as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

3rensho

QuoteHavent used an AV in years, Im all Unix/BSD and Linux and love it to death.

Me too.  Can't beat Linux x86_64/AMD Quad.  On my wife's Windoz machine I use Norton 360-2

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

pensrock

Thanks for all the information. I knew my friends here would be able to help out. My ISP is verizon and they notified me that they are discontinuing the free security software they had been providing. It is still available but for $4-5 per month.

Thanks again,
pens

deb415611

Pens,

You should be able to pick up something cheap or free on Friday.   Staples usually has something for black friday.  Actually the black friday ads are posted.  If you go to techbargains.com you can get to their black friday ad site.  It is usually pretty accurate. 

Deb

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Stargazer on November 23, 2008, 02:27:42 AM
Havent used an AV in years, Im all Unix/BSD and Linux and love it to death. Virus free and if hit by a worm just kill -9 #PID and Im clean. But my uncle still uses windows and really likes avast alot.

I use avast. free and kills any worm, trojan or virus.

nepas