• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First attempt at Canadian Bacon

Started by smokeitall, October 26, 2008, 06:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

I read all of the posts on here and decided to use Habs original recipe and start there for my first attempt.  The only thing I changed was using light brown sugar instead of dark brown, because I was out of the dark.  If any of you haven't tried this yet it is so easy, just do it.  I was so happy with how it turned out I am starting another batch.  Here is a pic.

The only thing I didn't expect was how quick these got done.  I waited for a little while after the 6 pucks of Maple smoke where done and then took the internal temp and I was at around 152 in one of them and 156 in the other.  I pulled them right away and tent foiled them.  I was also pretty worried about it being too salty so I snuck a taste before putting them in the fridge and it was perfect.

Thanks Habs for the detailed recipe....

Smokin Soon

Picture perfect, I must say. Did you do the 6 day dry rub routine?

smokeitall

I followed Habs recipe exactly.  Yes it was a dry rub and I did it for 8 days.  Was going to do it for 6 put the weather turned out perfect to go hunting  :)
Scott

beefmann

Mr Walleye

Looks great Smokeitall!   8)

Once you've made it.... Your hooked!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Scotty-G

Smokeitall,
That looks FANTASTIC!!!!  I'm droolin' here  :)
Now all you need is toasted english muffin, poached egg & Holindaise Sauce  :D
Scotty-G

Habanero Smoker

Smokeitall;

I'm glad it turn out alright for you. Your picture and Scotty-G mentioning Eggs Benedict reminds me I have to make another batch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Smokeitall,

Very nice.  I need to get some going too I think!

Deb

3rensho

That looks good enough to eat!!  Great job.  All that is missing are some eggs, hash browns and a short stack smothered with syrup.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

smokeitall

The hardest thing is waiting the two days now to slice it.  Every time I open the fridge I start drooling.  It should be ready for slicing tomorrow night.

FLBentRider

looks real good. I need to break some CB out of the freezer.

I don't always wait the two days....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 27, 2008, 04:20:54 PM
looks real good. I need to break some CB out of the freezer.

I don't always wait the two days....

Got that right FL!  That two day wait is a killer.....matter of fact I think I've got a tenderloin in the fridge that needs to been cooked or frozen by this weekend, I think I have a plan!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Buck36

Quote from: smokeitall on October 26, 2008, 07:06:28 PM
I followed Habs recipe exactly.  Yes it was a dry rub and I did it for 8 days.  Was going to do it for 6 put the weather turned out perfect to go hunting  :)
Scott

The bacon looks fantastic. Not to hijack your thread but how did the hunt go?

smokeitall

[/quote]

The bacon looks fantastic. Not to hijack your thread but how did the hunt go?
[/quote]

It's great to just be in the woods, but I also saw six deer.  I had a shot at one of them but I knicked a tree branch sending the arrow wild and breaking my broadhead, but still a good day.  I was going to take the afternoon off today to go again but we had 22 mph winds, so I am going to try and go tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks for asking.

La Quinta

Smoke...I make breakfast sandwiches (like at McDonalds) all the time...eggs benedict is kinda a Sunday brunch thing to us...so I warm up the CB in the oven...toast muffins...apply fried eggs...a little cheese...cover...warm in the toaster over or oven (oven) for 5/8 min. (And frankly it doesn't even need the cheese). Egg...Habs CB...muffin (lightly buttered of course) will do it!!

Glad it came out great for ya!!  :)