Looking for a couple of recipes

Started by HCT, October 30, 2008, 04:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

Anyone have recipes for
1. Hot pepper jelly
2. A good garlic dill pickle. Ball's are always a bit sweet and not garlicy enough.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Tenpoint5

Wish I could help HCT. I haven't got any recipes but will trade fresh Horseradish for some hot pepper jelly. Dug a plastic grocery bag full of roots last night. will be grinding today.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

deb415611

HCT,

My mom has a recipe for dill pickles that are pretty garlicky & not sweet at all.  I'll email her for it.

Deb

HCT

Deb, Thanks

10 pt., I gotta get my hands on some horseradish, want to try dehydrating it.
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

HCT

Here is a good hot pepper jelly i like to make.

Pepper Jelly Recipe

1 Green Bell Pepper, trim and chop finely
1 Red Bell Pepper, chop fine, trim reserved
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, chop, trim reserved
2 Jalapeno, seeded with ribs removed, chop fine
1 tsp Freshly ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 Fresh Bay Leaf
1/2 Cup Distilled White Vinegar
1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
6 Cups Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Liquid Crab Boil
1 Package Liquid Pectin (optional)
Sterilized glass Jelly Jars with lids.

Cut all of the fresh peppers fine and combine.
Combine the trim from the red and yellow peppers with the vinegars in a small saucepan, bring to almost a boil and turn of the heat. Let the pepper trim steep in the vinegar for 30 minutes. Puree the peppers and vinegar mixture in a blender or with an immersion blender or standing blender. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
Add the strained vinegar back to the saucepan with the sugar, Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to a simmer. Add the black pepper, crushed red pepper, crab boil, and the bay leaf. Simmer until reduced by about 1/3.

Meanwhile, in a stainless steal saute pan over medium heat, sweat the peppers until very dry, stirring constantly, do not allow to brown. Set aside.

When the sugar and vinegar mixture is reduced remove from the heat. Remove the bay leaf and add the chopped peppers and the liquid Pectin to the mixture. stir well.

Place in the sterilized jars, leaving a 1/2 inch of room and put the lids on snugly.

Process in a hot water bath with enough water to cover the jars for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let cool to room temperature. When cool, check to make sure that the jars created a seal, and tighten the screw lids. Store in a cool dark place for up to 12 months. Refrigerate after opening.

nepas

deb415611

Nepas,

Thanks for bringing this back up......

HCT,
emailing my mom right now.

Deb

HCT

Thanks nepas, I will try to make it up in the next couple of weeks, sooner I hope.

Deb, anxiously waiting. :D :D ;) Thank you.
probably the biggest"

deb415611

Here you go HCT, 

Alan's Dill Pickles

Cover cucumbers in cold water--let sit over night.

Put 1 head of dill, 1 clove garlic and 1/4 tsp red pepper in bottom of jar.

Slice cucumbers-Pack in jars.

Brine--1 quart vinegar, 1 cup salt and 3 quarts water. Bring to boil. Fill jars to cover pickles. Process 10 minutes in hot water bath.

HCT

probably the biggest"