New Member - Haven't Bought Yet

Started by feinhorn, September 17, 2008, 05:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

I think LQ nailed it...................

But use mesquite   ;D   No really... :D  Well maybe not....................................wrong!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

jmc

I'm a first time buyer looking to buy one for my dad for his birthday. Is it worth the extra money to go ahead and buy the digital smoker? I've noticed alot of you are using PID's. Does buying the digital eliminate the need to buy that? Thanks. My only concerns about the digital would be he would probably keep outdoors (I will add a cover) and the durability of the digital vs. the original smoker. Thanks.

Mr Walleye

Hi jmc and welcome to the forum.

You really can't go wrong with either one. I have the digital (DBS) but I have added a PID for tighter control for doing things like sausage. The DBS on it's own works fine for things like ribs & butts, etc. Most of the people here who have added a PID, do so for tighter control. Both the DBS and the OBS will produce some fine product right out of the box. If you see your dad doing things like sausage with requires a little tighter temp control you might want to save a few bucks and go with the OBS that way he could add a PID to it later. Not that you can't do the same thing with the DBS but it would save a few bucks.

By the way, great gift for your Dad!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mercc250

I have done pretty much the same thing you are doing. I couldn't justify the price for something I will only use maybe once a week. If you have a Cabelea's in your area check the bargain cave I picked mine up Last Saturday with a 2 day return policy. It didn't look that great but works perfectly and after cleaning the stainles steel exterior and vacuuming out the loose wood chips and cob webs this thing looks and works like it was brand new out of the box, Just my two cents. I firmly believe this product stands up to anything out there in quality and function plus you get this website as a great undispensable tool to get questions answered and wonderful recipies. Treager doesn't do that.

Curious Aardvark

I've had the standard for a while.

If it were me and I lived in the states then I'd get a digital - no question.
The whole 'set and forget' aspect really appeals to me.
But as I live in the uk where bradlesy are 2-3 times the cost they are in the states, no way could I afford the digital.
I like my bradley. But the added controllable thermostat of the digital would have been great. 
Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One - works for me :-)