Need Help With Bradley Smoker

Started by ShadyGrove, September 18, 2008, 04:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

In addition to all this great advice, I added some bricks in the smoker and let it heat up over 250 degrees over an hour before adding the meat in the smoker.  It helps to recover temps.  But also, make sure to set out the meat well before placing it in there.  The colder it is when its loaded in the smoker the longer the recovery and even longer to smoke the butts to proper temps.  And keep the water for the pucks and fat.  It does not impact that much and it does have a function. the other ideas to recover heat will be a much more substantial impact. 

As long as the bulb is glowing its cooking. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

beefmann

Know,

everything you  have  stated is correct and all good... However what I have found and works quite well .. better then expected for  me is the use of a blower and a higher wattaged finned heater... i currently run a 900 watt heater and couldent be happier even with a 25 pounds plus of meat  load and most i ever  done was 40 pounds of tritip.

With the 40 lbs of  tri tip i had a box temp of 220 before i loaded the bradley ... and  within 30 minutes of loading  it was at 210.

only  thing I can say is give this sone serious thought and the amount of load you  will be  doing. i have  found that with a PID, higher wattage  heater and  blower makes a HUGE differance... i wouldent go much higher in the  bradleys

IKnowWood

beefman, I concur, the Mods you made to your unit have indeed optimized this art to great ends.  If I had the time and know-how to do what you did, I would. I am most jealous on what you have done. 

Lately I have not done much in the smoker.  I will next Month, I will do another big feed with three racks of Boston Butts one day and maybe another day of Brisket.  For a work party, its now expected what I hear.  Just need to get that time.

Shady, you have some great knowledge on the boards and this thread form all.  Welcome and always remember, this is fun.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

beefmann

thanks for the complement, And i hope your gathering next month comes out better then expected and everyone enjoys... and have fun... have a brew for me