Newbie - please help with pork loin roast

Started by Crimson Ghost, November 14, 2008, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Ghost

Looks like I have one last question.

The Bradley recipe calls for Apple - is this the best to smoke this with ?  I bought a full array of flavors (got a little crazy in the Cabella's store....love that place!)

I was just looking at some Tip steaks that Beefmann prepared....WOW - my wife decided to put her foot down and flex the wifley muscle....those tip steaks are on the menu next week  :-)

<<god, this is a lot more fun than just smoking an annual turkey>>

KyNola

Crimson,
Apple would be a good choice as would maple.  Being from KY I am also quite fond of hickory on pork.  You can always use a combination of smoke too.

WTS will be along to tell you to use mesquite but don't pay any attention to him. ;D (sorry WTS, couldn't resist)

KyNola

Smoking Duck

Crimson,

The wood you choose is more a matter of preference than anything else.  The bradley recipe is really only a suggestion as to what type of wood.  With that being said, apple would be a real good choice for your first smoke.  The beauty of smoking is that you can really experiment with the types of wood until you find what you consider would be your favorite.  

I don't generally roll smoke in the last hour if only because I believe it's a waste of wood in that smoke generally doesn't adhere real well to meat once it's past the 140F mark, but that's certainly your call and won't affect the taste.

Hope all goes well and this is the start of a beautiful love relationship between you and your Bradley.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

KyNola

Once again I have to agree with the Duck.  Smoking in the last hour is not something I would do.  One thing to remember about the Bradley is that the smoke is a much cleaner purer smoke than what other smokers produce.  It is more concentrated.  That's why the smoke time of Bradley recipes is so much less than other conventional smokers.

Have fun!
KyNola

beefmann

another good point KY ..

Crimson. with pork my favorite bisquets are maple, oak, misquette and special,,,as for the recipe you  are using .. sounds like a great one to use and should enjoy  it. As for many of  us we  have developted our  own from others.

one book that I  would recomend for recipes is ...

Weber's Real grilling br Jamie Purviance.

it gives some insite to the different seasonings and they counter parts for the best combinations of seasonings and some ideas to try as well...

as for your cooking projects I would love to hear about them and if you  do have problems im sure that the bradley family can help you  out 

KyNola

One last suggestion.  If this is your first time using the BDS don't forget to preheat your BDS before you begin to smoke.  If you are going to smoke at 210, run the box temp up to 250 or so before you put the meat in the smoker.  When you open the door to put a 5 pound piece of cold meat in the smoker you will really knock the temp down in the tower.  You can always adjust the temp later.  Don't panic when you notice wide temp swings.  They are common especially when first starting.  As the meat comes up in temp, the swings will lessen considerably.

OK man, you're on your own now but we will be here if you have any questions.  Enjoy the day and don't forget that you need to spend the next 8 hours tending to the smoker with beverage in hand!  :D :D :D

KyNola

Stargazer

Quote from: KyNola on November 15, 2008, 08:04:20 AM
Being from KY I am also quite fond of hickory on pork.
You can say that one again!!! :D

Hickory smoked pork can't be beat! And hello from Northern Kentucky/Florence Boone area: Originally from Lexington and Owenton Ky  8)
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

Crimson Ghost

A huge success!!  This roast was better than we expected – our friends never smoked food themselves but it sounds like they are going to be picking up a smoker.  I have already directed to this web site !

I did take some pictures, how do you post them here?  Do I need to upload elsewhere and link to them?

Thank you for all the help !!  For the games today we are going to smoke up some Buffalo Wings – I'll be starting that thread ever so shortly  :-)

Thanks again for the wonderful advice !!!!

deb415611

Crimson Ghost,

Here are directions on posting pictures   http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11    The directions are from the faq section of the recipe site.  If you haven't been over there  check it out - lots of good recipes & info.

deb

beefmann

Crimson,

as for The pictures yes you have to load them else where and link to them.. there two places the one i use is imagecave.com and the other is photobucket.com

both offer free accounts

congrats on your meal and enjoy further smoking

KyNola

Congrats CG on your dinner.  I know you knocked your guests out!

KyNola