Well my wife stole my camera so....

Started by Oldman, December 22, 2004, 01:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Well my wife stole my Canon 6.3 camera so   [V] ....I got her for Christmas the Cannon Pixma iP8500 photo printer.[:D]

Here is one of the reviews:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip8500.html [:p]

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

nsxbill

DoW!

I'm 60 and I still buy my wife stuff at Victoria's Secret!  I got her a electric scroll saw one Christmas, because that is what she said she wanted, but get a lot of crap everytime I tell someone.  

Jewelry, perfume and Victoria's Secret  works for me!

V.S. also has a nice catalog that I enjoy browsing!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

Bill,

You've got nothin' on my buddy Jim. He gave his wife a vacuum cleaner with her name embroidered on the bag! He did hide a bracelet inside, but still![:D][}:)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

I gave my partner a flyrod and reel one year for her birthday, still haven't lived that one down.[:D]
Tom

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I got her a electric scroll saw one Christmas, because that is what she said she wanted, but get a lot of crap everytime I tell someone.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Well I gave mine a boat she wanted...now for the past two years is has not moved one inch. Go figure.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I gave my partner a flyrod and reel one year for her birthday, still haven't lived that one down<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Well my wife still has not use her spinning outfit I gave her a couple of years back.  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I still buy my wife stuff at Victoria's Secret! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> My wife says why bother...if I put it on you only want to take it off~~LOL[:D]

Now taking pictures is another story with her. So when her 35mm SLR camera died I had a gut feeling it would not be long before she took mine. However, when I pointed out that all of her lens etc would not work on my Cannon she said...no problem I'm going to give them to my sister~~~ouchie.  

I can hear it now.... Oh I need that lens...it has that M or Z or some fancy glass in it. LOL! Oh and I also need those new filters too~~! Now I have a micro and the std 18-55mm lens and that is all I need for work. I know what good lens cost and some of her old ones cost more than my whole shebang. I got a feeling next year is going to be expensive [:(]

There are several reasons I picked out this printer 1.) This printer is capable of ejecting a staggering 122 million droplets per second that are a mere two picoliters in size. If you don't know, a picoliter is a trillionth (one millionth of a millionth, or 10 to the -12th power) of a liter, which can be represented numerically as 0.000000000001/liter. 2.) Borderless printing. 3.) 8 ink tanks so there are deeper and richer reds and greens. 4.) dual paper paths, and a whole bunch more reasons.

At least I know she will use this Christmas present, not to mention I now don't have to build her that dark room she was talking about. [:D]

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Oh if you have never seen what a good digital camera can do go to the first link below. It is a shot I took of Electolysis damage on a machine for the manufacture.

If your auto re-size is on then make sure you click on the bottom right so the image opens up in full size in your browser. I only shot this picture in Large JPG so it is only <b>2995KB</b> is size...LOL! You should see the quality when I shoot in RAW format--9 plus megs in size per shot. (You have to take RAW into a digital dark-room and develope it.)http://www.rminor.com/images/steam_full.jpg

This is the review on my camera. I believe that the prices have dropped since this review. However, like most digital cameras today you will have to purchase a memory card. Do to the amount of photos I take I got a high speed (6 megs per second) 512 meg card.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/300d.html

nsxbill

It is amazing how advanced digital format has evolved.  I shoot pretty much all Nikon Glass and bodies.  Have for years.  Nikon F5 for film format and D1 for Digital.  All my lenses interchange and I won't go to Canon even though they are the standard now.  I have an AFS 80-200 2.8 for telephoto and love that quiet AFS capability.  My favorite lenses are my 20-35 F2.8 and 35-70 2.8 ED AFS.  You could get girls with the big 35-70.   For portrait work, I use a 105 AFS F2.0-D.  Nice because I can shoot facial close-ups from across the room, and you don't get those contrived smiles when you say "everyone smile."  For closeups I shoot a Micro 60mm and a 105mm.  The 60mm is a really handy one in the camera bag because it is so nice and small, and most consistent 1:1 pictures you can imagine on a light table when duplicating slides or photos.

When we were in Alaska, a little couple noticed that I was taking a lot of pictures with the D1 on continuous mode.  They wondered why I never have to change the film.  Was kinda cute.  The D1 will pop off about 8 frames a second, and really catches all the action.  It was a big deal for me to get my fluke shot of a diving whale while we were there, and I got about 5 really nice fluke shots out of Juneau on a high speed whale watching boat.

I use a little mp3 type device to travel with.  I have about 4 of the 1GB cartridges for it, and just pop in a new one when I start shooting and at the end of the day dump them onto my little 40Gig X-Drive Pro.  Start again with a clean card.  The D1 has nowhere near the pixel quality of the newer cameras, and I am just not going to plunk down another $4K for the newer model.  It works for me.

Printer wise, I use an Epson 9000.  It will do good photo quality at 11x17 or longer.  I was going to ask Santa for an Epson 2200 photo printer, but will go ahead and pick one up later.  IRS hammered me this month, so no cash for toys.

I stopped buying photo stuff about 2 years ago.  The technology is amazing, but my stuff works, and can't see trying to keep up anymore.  My son in a Pro photographer and borrows some of my lenses at times so they are not too outdated!  Only exception has been the purchase of one of those little Sony digital camcorders when we got back from Alaska trip.  About the same size as a deck of cards, and does digital camcording.  Wife likes to hike and climb, and it is handy to keep with her.  It will also do still stuff, but only at 1 Megapixel.  The digital movies are pretty amazing coming out out of a camcorder that small.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Fuzzybear

So Olds, after the theft of the 6.3, what did "Santa" replace that with?

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Chattaroy, WA - USA!

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">So Olds, after the theft of the 6.3, what did "Santa" replace that with?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> What to I get??? I get to cook on Christmas~~~! [:D]

Bill I sure hope my wife never finds this board and reads your reply. Next year she is already going to keep me broke as it is...at least I've gotten out of making her a darkroom! I thought about the iP9000 printer (13" x 19") but I asked and she said that she would never need to print one out that large. Besides when printing the iP9900 it has a huge foot-print. 2x3x2 foot!

If we ever needed a larger picture there is an excellent company here we can use. In fact I put together for my Mother a 24" x 36" and had it printed on canvas. It was made up of 5 photos I shot in RAW then converted each to a non-compressed TIFF file. Then using my Vector Program I brought them all together to create one image. The output (heh he he ) was over 65 megs in size!

Now the Cannon I have really did not cost that much. It is one step below a Pro model. At the time it was under $1000.00. However, that fast simm card was 239.00!!! Oh one thing more about the Cannon, its accept any std. Cannon 35mm lens as well as it own style.

I read that the price of the 8 mega pixals will be dropping into the 2500.00 range soon... so my 6.3 is soon to be yesterday's news. However as you said, it works for what I want it to do. Until I break it or my wife does I'm not upgrading!

To give you an idea of the boring stuff I do with my camera the picture below is a test area I did. The current cleaners had cleaned this rug 4 times in the past month and had contracting believing they needed to replace the carpet in the whole building. I did the right side of the photo. [:D] Oh BTW guess who is their new cleaner~~LOL!

birdboy

I just bought my wife one of the D300's for Christmas, we already had the Elan IIE, so the lenses swap over.

Any idea what the Archive quality (time)is on prints from that 8500 printer?  My wife does a lot of scrap booking and that has been her big complaint that the archive quality of home printers isn't up to what you get out of a photo processor, which I think are like 50 + years (your lucky to get 15 years out of most ink-jets).