Turkey - 5 Ways

Started by Scotty-G, November 08, 2008, 10:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

I've heard different opinions about how best to prepare turkey. Found packages of Turkey Drummets at the store and decided to conduct a little experiment:  Turkey - 5 Ways.

Set up 5 different options:
1) Smoked in the Bradley
2) Brined & Smoked in the Bradley
3) Fried in the Big Easy
4) Brined, Smoked in the Bradley & Fried in the Big Easy
5) Briend & Fried in the Big Easy

For a brine followed this basic concept:
1/2 T Tender Quick
3T     Brown Sugar
1 T    Pepper
1 Q    Water

For the brining I put the pieces into a vacuum sealer container, along with the brine mix.
Pulled a vacuum and stored in the fridge for 2 hrs.

For the Smoking - 180 deg for 2 hrs of Maple.  Then, due to rain moved smoking pieces either to Big Easy or 300 deg oven.

Here are the brined Drummets (top row) next to unbrined (bottom row) - can notice a color change in the meat.

Here are the Drummets ready to go into the Big Easy

Here are the finished Drummets - 1 --> 5, L --> R

The strings are part of my scheme to distinguish which underwent what method of preparation

Results:

Brining did have a big impact on flavor and moistness, although did not brine long enough.
Meat had a Pink Hue on the outer edges but not in the center, not enough time for brine (TQ) to permiate.

(1) & (3) were not brined and could notice a comparative difference in texture and moistness
I liked (2) but my Favorite was (4) Brined, Smoked and Fried
Everyone else liked (5) Brined & Fried - UGH!!!!   :o  :(  ???

As for Turkey Day this year - we compromise:
1 turkey brined and then halved.  Half into the smoker for me (& the guests), Half just fried for family (& guests?). 
Then both Halves into Big Easy.

Scotty-G

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

car54

Scotty,

Thanks for the information. I have a Big Easy and I like turkey drumsticks. Where did you get the round inserts for your basket?

Brad

geofite

The turkey drums look great.

I see you found the same pot racks that I did for the basket! They fit great.

I cooked 4 racks of chicken in the BE for my curried chicken recipe. Was able to get in 4 of the racks of chicken pieces and had room for 1 more. I found mine in a chinese grocery store.

westexasmoker

Where did you guys find these racks?  ???  I've got to pick up a new propane bottle today to try this thing out, but gots to make or find some racks!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Scotty-G

I found my racks at a Asain Restaurant Supply Store but an Asian Market should have them as well.
Mine are 8" in diameter and have long legs.  I had to bend them out flat and then rebend the ends to make them look like Geofite's.

As I understand it, the racks are typically used in asian cooking as steaming racks for bowls and smaller pots placed inside large pots.

Scotty-G

Smokin Soon

beefmann

scotty looks good need to try that

geofite

Quote from: Smokin Soon on November 09, 2008, 09:52:30 AM
Geo, is this the rack you have?  http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/footsteamrac.html

It looks like the same rack. I found mine at a chinese grocery store so it most likely is the same one. I did not know it was a steaming rack as there were no signs at the chinese store. I paid around 2.50 Canadian dollars each for mine. I bought 5 of them.

geofite

P.S. I just measured mine and they are 9 1/2 inch diameter and that is including the measurement of the one of the three legs. So they are 9 inch diameter for the round part. So the ones in the picture will most likely need to be modified as scotty-g had modified his. I did not have to do any modifying, mine fit. They are a wee bit tight but it is fine.

deb415611

Thanks guys - those racks look perfect.  Much better than what I have tried to create.  I have to see if I can find some locally.

car54

I ordered the racks from the above post. They will not work because the are too small(7.5 in.) .  Their service was A1. I ordered them on Monday and they were delivered on Wednesday.

Brad

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: car54 on November 12, 2008, 02:15:24 PM
I ordered the racks from the above post. They will not work because the are too small(7.5 in.) .  Their service was A1. I ordered them on Monday and they were delivered on Wednesday.

Brad

Brad;

Thanks for the post. I was just ready to order some.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Quote from: car54 on November 12, 2008, 02:15:24 PM

Brad
Ya me too, but I think by bending out the turn downs they will be do-able.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

westexasmoker

Yep about to order some myself...what if you turned it upside down and used some S hooks?

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!