• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Auber PID dont like the cold ?

Started by love the smoke, November 23, 2008, 07:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

Have any of you had a problem with your Auber PID not working in the cold temps?

Fired up the smoker last two times and the PID did not come on had to take a hair dryer to it for a few minuets for it to start working

Temp is about 20-30 degrees

Thanks
LTS
LTS

Mr Walleye

LTS

Mine are in my garage setup so I'm not much help.
I'm not sure which model you have but I just checked the manual on the ones I have & it says...

● Ambient temperature: 0~50ºC, 32~122ºF

Here is a link to the Auber site. Just find the unit you have. He usually has the manuals on the individual product pages, if not send him a quick email.

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

deb415611

LTS,

Last time I tried mine it wouldn't work but the sensor was fried.  The time before that it seemed like it took some time for it to start working - so not sure if it was the cold or the fact that the sensor was going bad.   I keep mine inside so the controller itself wasn't cold before starting.  I am going to smoke some snack sticks later today & have a whole new controller (upgraded to a programmable) so I'll let you know how it works. 

If you email Auber I'll bet you get a reply today.  I have emailed on two different holidays & received a reply within an hour.

Deb

Patience

I've got 2 auber PIDs and have not had this problem.  I have smoked well below freezing, but both are in a smaller plastic case with the SSR, perhaps that generates enough heat to keep it happy, however it still turns on and functions.  Emailing Auber is your best bet, and yes, they do email same day even on Sundays!  Great service.

A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg

love the smoke

Just for everybodys info From AUBER

he cold temperature will not damage the controller. However, the controller might not working properly with cold ambient temperature, especially when thermocouple type sensor is used. This is becasue the cold junction compensation circuit is not calibrated to below 32 F.
Thanks,
Suyi
LTS

Patience

cold junction compensation circuit????  Too deep for me.  So apparently the input might be out of wack, but your unit should atleast turn on and give an input error, right?

Is your PID in a project box or something you can keep in the house with your T-coupler?  I have one of each, but havn't run the permanent mounted one in the cold yet.  MAkes me wonder if its gonna work now.   :'(

Can anybody calibrate a cold junction compensation circuit?  ;D

I still think your PID should power up, no matter how cold it is.
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg

love the smoke

NOPE PID did not start up last two smokes it was about 20-30 degrees. I had to warm up with a hair dryer first

The PID is permantatly mounted in the smoke box and so is the TC... mounted in the back of the smoker

LTS
LTS

Yooper Jim

I'm new here, but have been lurking in the shadows for a year or so.  Enjoy it very much.  Just got a Auber PID and tried it out today.  I keep it indoors and was concerned if it would work this morning (-22F).  No problem.  Just took it out and plugged it in (it maintained +- 2 degrees).  Best money I've spent in a while.  Have a OBS and spent half my time running outside playing with the temp.  Thank you guys for the PID tip. 

Gizmo

Welcome Yopper,
Nice to see you posting.  Hope to here some other great news and pictures.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Yooper Jim

Had problems this AM.  I see the problem now.  Not the PID box being warm, but the sensor.  Had to drape a hot cloth over the sensor during warm up to get the PID to shut up.  My sensor is mounted  thru the back of the cooker.  Had to get the senor over 32 degrees???  Last I tried the box was warmed (even at 20 Below).   Everything worked out fine.  Just have to fool the temp sensor I guess?????????  Is that it??

MRH

Mine worked yesterday temps were below 20 in the garage.

Mark

Up In Smoke

i purchased the programmable pid 2 weeks ago and have only used it once.
i was going through the manual and found this info.e) Operating the controller when ambient temperature is below 32 °F (0 °C). The controller reading is only accurate for temperature ≥ 32 °F (0 °C ). In addition, if the ambient temperature is below 14 °F (-10 °C), the controller will not function because it can't read the temperature correctly. In that case, user can warm the sensor by holding it with their hands. Once the sensor is above 14 °F (-10 °C), it will turn on the heater. Once the inside of the smoker is heated to above 32 F, the controller will run by itself.
                                            hope this helps.
oh, i have the model ws1200cph
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Xtrema312

My programmable doesn't like the cold.  It will beep when it is too cold and I try to set-up from scratch.  I am not sure where the temp break is because it seems to have gone from above freezing to the teen's and below around here without much break.  I keep it warm and use the slide to get the temp of the box up and then hook up the auber and drop in the probe.  Once the probe is up to box temp I turn it on.  That works for me.