Mustard Vinegar Sauce

Started by Mr Walleye, November 23, 2008, 04:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

I finished a 10 lb pork butt today that I started yesterday and I was looking for a different sauce to try. I found this recipe on the Smoke Ring Forum. It was posted there by a member called Roxy so any credit belongs to him but I thought I would share it with everybody here. It really is good on pulled pork, I will definitely be making it again. Also very easy to make. Here is the recipe.... I will post the original link at the end of my post if anybody is interested in reading all the comments on the sauce.

Posted by Roxy (The Smoke Ring Forum)

"My favorite sauce to add to pulled pork is a mustard vinegar sauce. I add just a bit, maybe 1/2 a cup, to moisten the meat and add a bit of flavour after its been pulled.
When making a Sammich I add some more of the sauce with a shake or two of the rub I used to season the butt. To my taste this sauce is a perfect match with cole slaw and I dont be eatin me no pulled pork sammich without the slaw.
I dont hear any one mention using this sauce but I find it is the tastiest addition to pulled pork. From what I've read most of ya'll are stuck in north carolina, now theres nothing wrong with vinegar or piedmont sauce, I just find this sauce has more flavour and makes better pairing with pork butt.

Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes."

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1359

It really is a nice sauce and certainly could easily be a favorite for us, even the wife likes it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Sounds like the vaulted vinegar sauce is Smoke and Spice.  I love anything with mustard and vinegar.  The rest of the family doesn't however.  What would you think somethink like that would last in the frig?  2 weeks?

Thanks for the recipe, Mike.  I'ma gonna have to try it.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Not sure on the time frame for storage in the fridge SD. I would certainly think all of 2 weeks though and probably longer. Maybe Habs will be along and have a better idea.

You'll have to get your wife to try it, it really is good.

Mike

Smoking Duck

Ahhhh, she's an old curmudgeon who's set in her ways.  However, I'm felling a little saucy and may have to give her a chance to change.  If she hits me though, I'm gonna blame you  ;) ;D

Mr Walleye

Smoking Duck

Man, I wish you lived closer  ;D

Sorry, Mike, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but it is definitely one of my many faults.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smoking Duck on November 23, 2008, 05:16:01 PM
Man, I wish you lived closer  ;D

Sorry, Mike, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but it is definitely one of my many faults.

Not hijacking SD, just friendly BS'ing.  ;)

Mike

beefmann

HCT

I made this last week for my pulled pork. Man o man is it good!!! I'm using it on everything. :D :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

Mike,

I've been playing around all day trying to create my own BBQ sauce (think I'm close but not there yet) so I decided to whip up some of this sauce for some pulled pork sammies for dinner.

I mentioned that this reminded me of the Vaulted Vinegar Sauce from Smoke and Spice......I was wrong.  This stuff is much more complex and tastes awesome.   So, I decided to make a double batch and store some.

Sweet Smoking Jehosophat!  This stuff is good.  Don't know if the wife will try it, but, heck, that's okay by me  ;) ;D

iceman

Thats a must try MW. Thanks for posting that for all of us.

ChicagoScott

Probably makes no sense to reply to this so long after original posting... but I have to comment.

I made pulled pork for the adults who came by on Halloween. Thought it would be nice to offer up some sammies and beer while the kids got candy. And - as you know - any excuse to use the OBS.

I made 2 sauces I always use - Vaunted Vinegar and the Carolina Red, both from Smoke & Spice. I don't sauce the pork after I pull it. I let people choose. I wanted a third, mustard-based sauce for this occasion and came across the one mentioned in this thread. It's absolutely amazing! Just amazing. Because of the onions and garlic and the simmering, it's a much more layered flavor. The mustard flavor comes through well, but is balanced by both the vinegar and the brown sugar. I found it to be the absolute best compliment to my butt. I did use an immersion blender after simmering and then let it cool for about 45 minutes in the fridge before putting in my plastic serving bottle. 

Great stuff!

ChicagoScott
It used to be my kids who taught me patience, now it's my smoker.

seb bot

Don't worry about reviving dead threads ChicagoScott, it's a great way to stumble upon some gems! ;)

I hadn't seen this recipe before, but I will most likely give it a shot next time I do pulled pork, it sounds great!