Dumb Question about Brine

Started by JDNC, November 23, 2008, 12:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

I have never used a brine, and was wondering what is the purpose for curing with a brine?  I have read you really don't need to if you use a temp at say 145* to 150* or so.  Are these post refering to cold smoking temps?  If I want to smoke.. say a pork loin at a lower temp without preheating my smoke tower and bring my smoker up to cooking temp after smoking do I need to use a brine, and when preheating to higher temps prior to smoking I don't?

JD

pensrock

One of the biggest reasons to brine is to add moisture to the meat. It also can add flavor depending on the brine you make.

Habanero Smoker

JDNC;

You should read this article CURING and BRINING. It contains a lot of information, that is located in one area.

It's hard to answer your question without knowing specifically what posts your are referring to. Not all brines are for curing. Most recipes that you see on this forum that call for brining, are brining recipes to provide flavor and to maintain moisture. If it is for curing the recipe specifically will state that.

This pertains to solid cuts of meat only. Though smoke acts as a antimicrobrial if you are smoking/cooking at a temperatue 145°F - 150°F, you should cure the meat unless you are only using those temperatures for an hour or two to apply smoke, and you are sure you will get up to your cooking temperature fairly shortly. Even with the temperature of 150°F the air temperature near the meat can be below 140°F.

You may also want to review these two articles.
FOOD POISONING AND FOOD HYGIENE, Pt. 1
FOOD POISONING AND FOOD HYGIENE, Pt. 2

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JDNC

I guess I thought all brines were a type of cure due to the amount of salt in most.  Would a brine be a good choice for pork loin, or injecting marinade prior to smoking?

Thanks, JD

JDNC

Habs,

I read somewhere about stuffing a pork loin with sausage links through small holes made with a knife across the loin.  I've got a big injector with a large needle....wonder if I could inject sausage in the ends of a loin....any ideas?

Habanero Smoker

A good rule for flavoring is to use 1 cup of pickling salt per gallon of water (I often use 3/4 cup); and an equal amount of sugar; then you can add your seasonings.

A good brine would be good, if you don't have what is called enhanced pork (pork that has been injected with a brining solution prior to packaging). Injecting marinade would be another good choice.

I rarely brine pork loin, but many do. I just smoke/cook them to an internal temperature of 142°F - 145°F.

As far as injecting with sausage, that sounds like a good idea. Knowing this forum, someone has probably done this and can give you good advice.

I just made a stuffed loin today, but I butterfly them (YouTube has plenty of videos demonstrating this, in a variety of ways). Today I used spinach, parmesan cheese and pepperoni. If you stuff with sausage you may want to take your internal temperature higher.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JDNC

Yeah,
I was thinking the same, reference the IT using sausage. Do you think I should go as high as 155 or higher, as the sausage should keep things pretty moist, don't you think?  I'm going to smoke pork loin for my mother-inlaw this holiday and would like to try something different.  This will be the first time in a new OBS and the only pucks I have are hickory (which I perfer).  How many do you think I need for loin?

JD

Habanero Smoker

I generally use pecan, which is similar to hickory. My personal taste for loins is 4 to 5 bisquettes. If you take the internal temperature to 152°F - 155°F, that should be plenty safe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.