Thin snack sticks

Started by sherlock, November 14, 2008, 07:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

I guess that first, I need to get a stuffing tube smaller the 1/2". I am wondering if stuffing thru a 3/8" tube is more difficult because of the smaller opening. What do you folks use?
Thanks
nathan

Gizmo

Haven't done much stuffing but I used the small one that came with the Kitchen Aid.  I still need to use it more to pay for getting the Kitchen Aid in the first place.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

sherlock

Thanks Gizmo

I guess I forgot about that since I bought my stuffer. I will dig it out and use it.

S

josbocc

Sherlock,

I must have missed an earlier post on this subject.  I just did some "slim jim" type snack sticks this past weekend.  I think that the casings that I used (collagen) were 19mm.  I'd like to find something a little bit thinner. 

Are you using natural casings, or the collagen ones?  If you're finding them smaller than 19mm, where?  Mine turned out OK, but I think that if I could get them a bit thinner, they would've been awesome.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Patience

I also have looked for smaller tubes, and currently only have a 3/8ths inch for my 5 pound stuffer, and its almost too small.  You really have to add extra water to get the mix flowing easy, or you'll blow by your plunger seal.  The 19mm edible collagen cassings will be the easiest to use, but don't plan on threading the whole bunched up length on.  You will have to actually stretch it apart and carefully thread it on the stuffer tube.  Again, if you add enough water and grind it really fine, it should stuff pretty easy.  Look at the consistancy of a slim jim, looks like it went in as an emulsion! 

The other thing is don't spray with cold water like so many texts tell you to.  I tend to stuff not so tight, and let bloom for about 3 hours at room temp.  They'll shrink to a small size.
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg

Tenpoint5

I also have a 3/8 in that I found at Cabela's for on my #32 grinder but that Ugly ol girl has been modified with a motor. So I had to buy a 5lb Grizzly vertical stuffer. So I also use the 19mm collagen casing that you feed on by hand. Besides I like a bigger snack stix the kids dont eat them so fast. I actually get one now and again.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

stuff em a little loose and press em you will have landjaegers  ;D

nepas