circulation fan wireing

Started by love the smoke, November 21, 2008, 04:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

Dont want to hijack the other thread  :( so does anybody have there wiring diagram for wiring up the two wire fan that you can get from graingers, or do you just put a plug in on the wires and run a ext cord :o, not really an option for me, I may have to consult an electrician because me and wiring don't get along :P

LTS
LTS

beefmann

the simple way is to wire it to the plug on the back of the box  befor the heat slide switch... you should have two blacks or a black and  white.. take one of the blacks and attach it to once side of the plug on the cooking box and the white or  other black to the other sice of the plug and your  done..

Mr Walleye

LTS

I use a power bar for my DBS, PID and circulation fan so all I did was add a plug to the wiring on the fan. This way I only have one power switch to shut everything down. If for some reason I don't want the circulation fan running (which is never) I can simply unplug it from the power bar.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Mr Walleye on November 21, 2008, 06:41:03 AM
LTS

I use a power bar for my DBS, PID and circulation fan so all I did was add a plug to the wiring on the fan. This way I only have one power switch to shut everything down. If for some reason I don't want the circulation fan running (which is never) I can simply unplug it from the power bar.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Do you have to have a special power bar to run all of those?  I seem to remember some conversation awhile back that made me believe that it was best to run the BS straight to the outlet rather than on a power bar or extension cord.  Perhaps I read that wrong?

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Hi SD

I use a power bar that is rated at 15 amps. It's also only 3 feet long so not much resistance. I have never had a problem with my setup.

I think the hole "extension cord" thing revolves around the gauge of the cord itself and the length of it as well. The longer the cord and the smaller the gauge, the more likely you are to have a problem.

Mike

Smoking Duck

Thanks Mike!

And I still expect credit for catching that walleye for you  :P

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smoking Duck on November 21, 2008, 08:48:44 AM
Thanks Mike!

And I still expect credit for catching that walleye for you  :P

You got it SD!  ;)

It's just a little one anyway!  :D  ;D

Mike

Patience

Another option it to run the fan off the alarm relay of the PID.  Aubers programmable PID allows 2 alarm outputs for a total of 3amps at 110v.  I am running the smoke generator off 1 alarm and the fan off the other and setting the PID to turn on/off at given times.  This application is for a homemade smoker, but the concept is still the same.  You can cycle the fan to run for 1 minute every 10 minutes or whatever, at the holding temp. 

If not using PID, like post above, run it off one of the hot wires of the BS and put an on/off switch on it.
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg