Cure Time

Started by Buck36, November 13, 2008, 02:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck36

How important is it to get the meat out of the cure?

I have been using the recommended days as a "minimum" guideline. That is not being lazy but the cooking is scheduled around work. If I have meat in cure it generally goes past the recommended days to my next day off. Does this damage the meat?

I haven't noticed a poor flavor but I was wondering if I am sacrificing optimal results by my schedule.

Habanero Smoker

It depends on the cut of meat. Generally the longer you cure the saltier the meat becomes. This is especially true with thinner cuts of meat, fish in particular; and also poultry. Larger cuts of meat, unless you have a very discriminating taste to salt, you wouldn't probably notice and extra day or two.

If I can't smoke/cook the piece on the scheduled time that it is to be taken out of the cure, and it is fully cured, I will take it out of the cure when it is done. Generally I allow it to rest one day after removing it from the cure anyway. This allows the cure that is more concentrated at the surface to equally distribute itself through out the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

I would definitely echo what Habs has written.....when it comes to curing meat, you can take what Habs says as close to gospel as it gets.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

The only thing that I would add is that you might want to soak the meat (probably not the fish) in cold waterfor an hour or two. If you are worried about to much salt. The water will pull some of the salt back out. I got that info from the Morton Salt website.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Stargazer

Habanero Smoker nailed it. It really depends on your cut of meat.

Example; I'm currently curing a raw hind of pork for Thanks Giving day. To help speed it up I pump injected it. Pump injecting formula is generally this...

15% x Xoz = oz per pump

My ham is around 22lbs or 352oz; being 16oz per lbs.

This now gives me an easy plug in formula...

.15 x 352oz = 52.8oz per pump

The injector I use holds 4oz at a time. Rounding off I get this...

52/4=13 or 52.8/4=13.2

so that means 13 full injections, or 13.2 if you wish to get technical, but the .2 isn't a problem.

Next is to pump it that amount of times as close to the bone or center if no bone as you can using the brine mix for your spray pump injections. Then place the ham itself into your bucket or non metal tub.

Mind you, this is for large cuts of meat. Other cuts like belly squares for bacon don't need to be pumped injected though. Like fish for another example, just put it in your brine for a short time and its done. No injections. I never brined fish but if I'm not mistaken I belive its only a few hours, but please don't quote me on that one.

I'm still going to most likely spend 10 to 12 days letting my ham cure even though I injected it to speed up the process. After that, its smoke time over hickory for about 22 hours or so.

Hope this helps :)
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

Buck36

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it!

Smoking Duck

Additionally, Buck, you need to let the meat be your guide.  I currently have two pork loins in the cure for some Canadian bacon.  The minimum guideline I use is 6 days.  However, if the meat doesn't feel firm enough for me, it will stay in the cure until I feel it needs it.  I do feel it is important to saok the meat after the cure.  Usually will rinse off the meat and then soak for a minimum of 30 mins in a bath of cool water.  I then cut off a piece, fry it up and taste for saltiness.  If it's still too salty, back in the cool bath until it's where I want it.  If you are unsure, the best thing to do would be to pull it out and let it rest after you've reached the minimum guideline.  But, I think the key is letting the meat be the guide.  I've had some cuts that were thinner than others and have pulled them prior to the minimum.  The more you do it, the better your feel gets with curing meats.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra