Join me in smoking cheese!

Started by Smoking Duck, November 28, 2008, 01:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

SD,
Thanks for the tutorial man.  One last question, you mentioned cutting the quart vac seal bags in half.  I assume you mean horizontal and you have to seal both ends of one of the "half" bags?

Thanks to you, looking forward to smoking some cheese for the holidays.

KyNola

Smoking Duck

You live in the Great White North (Hoser, eh?) and you haven't done cheese?  ???  Sweet Granny's Sassafrass!  If you let LQ hear that, she'd be livid  ;)  She'd give her left arm for one night of your weather  ;D

Seriously, though, give it a try.  I certainly see the rationale behind bringing it to room temp befor eputting into the smoker and I guess I do that more than taking right out of the fridge, so give it a try.

I hope you give it a try and post some pics, Mike.  I'd love to see it!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Geezzz SD!... Keep it down! LQ is probably lurking around here somewhere. I'll never here the end of it!  ;)

You're right though, I need to get my butt in gear and do it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Quote from: KyNola on November 29, 2008, 01:13:22 PM
SD,
Thanks for the tutorial man.  One last question, you mentioned cutting the quart vac seal bags in half.  I assume you mean horizontal and you have to seal both ends of one of the "half" bags?

Thanks to you, looking forward to smoking some cheese for the holidays.

KyNola

Hey KY,

That's right..... I cut them in half horizontally and then seal both ends on the top of the bag that is cut.  The bottom of the quart bag is already sealed.  If you don't have quart bags, use the 8" rolls.....you'll save a lot of bag versus using the 11" rolls.  Some of the chunkier pieces of cheese made it a little harder to seal with half a quart bag, but I got it done.  If you or Mike have any questions at all, please feel free to PM me and I'll shoot you my phone number and we can talk.  Heck, PM me even if you don't need help....I'm pretty lonely these days with no one to talk to during the day  ;D

FLBentRider

So it looks like we are expecting temps in the mid 40's Tuesday next week.

The Plan :

1. Start around 0300.

2. Cut the larger blocks in half to maximize surface area, lay out on racks.

3. Smoke with Generator only with ice in the bowl, 3 hours of ???? (I'm out of Pecan right now... I have: Oak, Maple, Hickory, *esquite, Alder and Special blend)

4. Vac Seal and refrigerate for 10 days ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Sounds good FLBR.  If you have extra room in the smoker, try putting a bread pan or something on the lower rack and filling that with ice as well.  I would probably choose in this order: Maple, Alder, Hickory.  If you even try the mesquite, we'll send an Amish Hit Squad down on ya  ;) ;D  Please take pics of what will be a momentous occasion!

SD

pensrock

I'm getting ready to do my first batch of many tomorrow morning. (Last year I did over 200 lbs. of cheese!)
15 lbs. NY Xtra Sharp
10 lbs. Cooper Sharp
5 lbs. Horseradish
1 Whole stick of pepperoni

I will be using apple wood.

FLBentRider

Wow. I have:

2lb Sharp Cheddar
2lb Cheddar
2lb of Pepper Jack

Our results will determine the size of subsequent smokes.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

???  ???  ??? Was almost 80 today...I'm sick of being the red headed step child for cheese...  :'(  :'( We gotta move...  :D

Smoking Duck

If your mortgage is paid up, I'll switch with ya  :o ;D ;D

La Quinta

FLBentRider

I'm a little bummed this morning. I checked the weather, set my alarm, and when I got up, the temp was 60F instead of the 45F I expected.

I guess I'll try again tonight..

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

That stinks, FLBR.  Although, I'm not sure if I feel sorry or envious........we got a good amount of snow last night and more on the way.

SD

Tenpoint5

I wouldn't mind 60* right now would even settle for 45*. 10* with a windchill of -7 plus humidity on the rise is COLD. You southern and western folks have NO idea what that is. I would rather do winter in Alaska than here in the Midwest it's warmer.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

You oughta give North Dakota a try, 10.5.  Lived there for 4 years and my wife grew up there.  Now, that's cold........heck my testicles would ascend into my chest cavity 8 months out of the year!