Join me in smoking cheese!

Started by Smoking Duck, November 28, 2008, 01:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 02, 2008, 08:04:41 AM
You oughta give North Dakota a try, 10.5.  Lived there for 4 years and my wife grew up there.  Now, that's cold........heck my testicles would ascend into my chest cavity 8 months out of the year!

Yeah thats exactly what I'm talking about. Perfect for making cheese in the smoker. Was just eyeballing up some chunks of cheese at the grocery store but SWSBO said I was taking to long and to hurry up.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

It seems to me that you need to do a better job of selling the virtues of smoked cheese to SWSBO.  Marriage is all about the sell and if you can't sell the steak then by all means, sell the sizzle  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

tsquared

I think I'm ready to try smoking cheese but I was reading a smoking book I just got, "Smoking Food" by Warren Anderson. I bought the book because I was attracted by some ideas he had to help cure scotch smoked salmon(I'll do a post about it after I try it) but he talks about cheese too. He says
QuoteI have tried to smoke....many natural cheeses....the result was always bad.
He recommends processed cheese! (Pigs will fly before I eat processed cheese.)
I hope the rest of the book is better than this section, but I do admit he does have me wondering. I remember a post a while back that recommends: room temp cheese going into the smoker, 85 degrees for a couple of hours and then let it cure for a week or 2 to let the smoke permeate the whole block. Am I on the right track here?
T2

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Habs, I've smoked Velvetta before. Its difficult to do because it will melt sitting on the counter.  :)
Last year I did some Velvetta pepper cheese and boy was that good over scrambled eggs with some of your CB.  :)

Habanero Smoker

I was just thinking of putting a block of in on some cooked macoroni and smoking at 225°F. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: tsquared on December 08, 2008, 07:23:32 PM
I think I'm ready to try smoking cheese but I was reading a smoking book I just got, "Smoking Food" by Warren Anderson. I bought the book because I was attracted by some ideas he had to help cure scotch smoked salmon(I'll do a post about it after I try it) but he talks about cheese too. He says
QuoteI have tried to smoke....many natural cheeses....the result was always bad.
He recommends processed cheese! (Pigs will fly before I eat processed cheese.)
I hope the rest of the book is better than this section, but I do admit he does have me wondering. I remember a post a while back that recommends: room temp cheese going into the smoker, 85 degrees for a couple of hours and then let it cure for a week or 2 to let the smoke permeate the whole block. Am I on the right track here?
T2

T2,

Yes, you're on the right track.  Try not to let the tower get over 90F and you should be good to go.

SD

tsquared

Thanks Duckman--I'll give it a whirl this weekend with some almonds on a few racks too.
T2

Smoking Duck

Cool, T2.  Be sure to take pics!

SD

deb415611

My goal is to do some this weekend.   

It was almost 60 at 6am this morning but it's supposed to be back to normal by tomorrow.........

Smoking Duck

60 in the northeast?  Sweet Global Warming!

deb415611

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 10, 2008, 10:51:53 AM
60 in the northeast?  Sweet Global Warming!

Love that global warming - my dog must have blown coat 6 times last year     >:(.....   

Yeah,  it's 57 right now, raining but 57.   I think it was even in the mid-high 50s in HCT's area this morning and I think he's generally colder than where I am.    It is December right?

Smoking Duck

Yea, I'm shaking like a diabetic in a candy shop and you're nice and toasty.  Heck, I even got the fireplace going (mostly to save on heating, but it's going nonetheless)

Father Tom

Has anyone smoked GOAT CHEESE ?
Have farm nearby that produces many types.

Tom

PS>  I did my cheese the other day as temperature was -18 degrees.