Converting coffee grinder to spice grinder

Started by Smoking Duck, November 29, 2008, 09:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

here is the one I use works good for both but it was only 20.00 at wallmart so I just bought another one, dont want the coffee tasting like garlic

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/black-decker-smartgrind-coffee-grinder-cbg100w

LTS
LTS

Smoking Duck

Just got back from the store....got the rice.....as an added bonus, that which doesn't get used cleaning the spice grinder, gets eaten with dinner  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

If you are frying any fish, you can mix the ground rice, with is now flour, with some wheat flour, add your favorite seasonings. You will have some of the crispiest fish you've every come across.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

I did actually save the ground rice because I felt guilty about throwing it out.  I just knew someone here would know what to do with it.

Thanks, as always Habs!

SD

LilSmoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 30, 2008, 02:08:37 AM
LS;

I enjoy your post. Nice story to read while having my first cup of coffee.

Are you referring to the meat grinder attachment, or the grain mill. The meat grinder is very easy to clean, and I usually run bread through it prior to disassembling and cleaning it. The grain mill I don't have, but I've often come to close to ordering one.

Hi Habs, sorry this is the grinder i'm currently looking at:

I just want something that can be cleaned thoroughly, just in case it ever gets used for coffee  ;), or i'll stick with my food processor attachment.

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

LS;

That is some grinder. I didn't know KitchenAid made a grinder like that. Now I want one of those myself. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Mr Walleye

LS... That's a nice looking unit!  ;)

Here is the one I'm using. It's a Hamilton Beach and has a removable stainless cup that is handy for throwing in the sink to clean. It also has a retractable cord and a reasonable price.

Here's a link to the Canadian site....
http://www.hamiltonbeach.ca/hb_detail.php?item=80374C&mc=KA&fc=2&catID=7

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

drano

The hand grinders designed for espresso may work also. 
Don't know how easy they are to adjust the fineness of grind, or take apart to clean the burrs. 
I've got a Mazzer Super Jolley (yea, I'm a coffee geek) that will grind espresso-fine coffee all day long.  But coffee is the only thing I'll ever run thru it. 
I've read on the coffee forums rice works well to clean burrs.  I haven't done this because I simply screw the top burr out of my Mazzer, brush off the burrs, and put it back together. 
drano

Smoking Duck

I've got a cuisanart that works great.  Ran some rice through it and I'm now good to go!

Thanks,

SD

Habanero Smoker

I just ordered a couple of hand grinders, for grinding small amounts of spices. I already had one of these models but wanted a few more. When I receive the grinders they came with 4 ounces of sea salt. I thought they provided the salt as a "free" gift, as something to use right away. But after looking on the box, the box stated; "Includes 4 oz of Sea Salt for Cleaning Grinding Gears."

I've never heard of this, but it makes sense. So you can add course sea salt to the list of thing to use to clean your grinder.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smoking Duck

LilSmoker

They look good SS, hopefully the u.k. costco might have them soon  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Buck36

SS,

Thanks for posting that! I bought one just for small cutting jobs or smoothies. I never thought about grinding spice in it. Thanks.

Habanero Smoker

SS;

That does look like it would be good for larger jobs, but for smaller amounts I like hand grinders. For larger jobs many forum members talked me into purchasing a Cuisinart mini-processor.

I bought a hand grinder few years back and really liked it, but couldn't find them again until recently. What I like about this grinder is that the grinding mechanism will fit a lot of different spice jars; especially the McCormick Gourmet Collection. I save a few of those jars, and fill them with whole spices and herbs. When I need to grind a 1/4 teaspoon of this or that, just screw on the grinding mechanism on the jar and grind away.

Now that I have all that I think I need; I'll share this with other members. :)
Mr. Dudley Grinder ; also this site has some unique spices, and powdered flavorings.

Although advertised as Mr. Dudley, another company bought them out a few years ago. Which is probably the reason I couldn't find them until now. The name is now Progressive Spice Grinder. It's possible you may find them cheaper if you search the web; but I didn't have any luck.

I
         don't
                   inhale.