Home Cured Ham

Started by Tenpoint5, December 01, 2008, 04:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Quote from: sherlock on December 02, 2008, 07:34:27 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 02, 2008, 04:28:04 AM
I am just glad the curing process keeps the bad stuff from forming after being at 160* for a looooooong time.

Is 160 deg what you bumped the temp to after smoking for 8 hours?

Why did you start the smoke after the 12 hours at 120/140 deg instead of doing the smoking at the start?

Can't wait to see the results and to lust for a taste. I have installed a plastic cover over my keyboard to protect it from the drool.

Sherlock,
I was following the direction as given in Rytec Kutas' book Sausage making and meat curing.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

Holy Moly...that looks amazing....my husband asked..."Why haven't you done that"...wahhh...waahhh...Gotta do it now!!  :) Well done 10.5...really well done....

Smoking Duck

Great looking ham, 10.5.  I assume it would keep well in the frig and then be reheated in the oven at a later time?  The reason I ask is that I've been tasked to do a ham for Christmas Eve dinner with the whole dern family and thought this might be okay but that I'd better allow a long buffer time.  Additionally, the travel time from my house to theirs is 1.5 hours, so I'd have to figure that in as well.

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 03, 2008, 07:57:17 AM
Great looking ham, 10.5.  I assume it would keep well in the frig and then be reheated in the oven at a later time?  The reason I ask is that I've been tasked to do a ham for Christmas Eve dinner with the whole dern family and thought this might be okay but that I'd better allow a long buffer time.  Additionally, the travel time from my house to theirs is 1.5 hours, so I'd have to figure that in as well.

Thanks!
SD

SD, I would think it would keep in the fridge for a few days. It is just like a store bought cured and smoked. Might even do it now then freeze it. For the X-mass thing I would heat it to temp then FTC until you get there then reheat alittle and put your last little bit of glaze on to freshen it up. Good luck. If you need any pointers let me know, I'll help if I can.

First bit of advice: contact your local deli shop or restaurant to see if you can get a Pickle bucket or a Pickled Herring bucket to brine in. That way you have a Food Grade plastic bucket.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

My wife works at a seniors care facility and their kitchen is a great place to get all sorts of food grade containers as all their supplies come in them....

Just a thought.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

dproft

Looks delicious!  Truly inspiring.  Congrats on a successful go!

sherlock

Looks like you had a "BUTT" half of a ham is that right? How much did it weigh?
I must try to find a fresh one myself. Was the brine/cure you used in the same book? If not would you please tell us about what you used, etc. Sorry to be such a PITA but this something I want to do.
Nathan

Tenpoint5

Quote from: sherlock on December 03, 2008, 11:52:30 AM
Looks like you had a "BUTT" half of a ham is that right? How much did it weigh?
I must try to find a fresh one myself. Was the brine/cure you used in the same book? If not would you please tell us about what you used, etc. Sorry to be such a PITA but this something I want to do.
Nathan

Nathan,
Yep The brine is in the book which is upstairs or I would give you the page number. I believe it was the shank half although the other half is in the freezer still, it's waiting for X-mass dinner. As far as being a PITA not at all. Just ask Habs how many times I talked with him about doing bacon. Before I actually did it. Where do you live at? it might be easier to help find a place to get you a fresh Ham. Around here I have several "Locker's" that I can go to and just ask for one. If I didn't have a whole hog in the freezer.

sherlock

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Wesley Chapel, Florida. Its about 25 miles North of Tampa. I will check around to see if I can find one.

I am lusting over your ham.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM good

Tenpoint5

Guessing there ain't just to many hog farms in the area. I would suggest asking your local grocery meat counter for a fresh ham. Some friends of mine talk about a store down there called Publix? try there.

sherlock

FLBentRider

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 03, 2008, 02:58:16 PM
Guessing there ain't just to many hog farms in the area. I would suggest asking your local grocery meat counter for a fresh ham. Some friends of mine talk about a store down there called Publix? try there.

My Publix supermarket meat manager will order anything I ask for...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tsquared

That looks awesome, 10.5--is that netting just ordinary cheesecloth?
T2

Tenpoint5

T2 I get it from my locker plant, but im sure cheese cloth would work just as well.

Myrkk

Hey guys,

I have the Webber smokers. I have the small and large water smokers. The small one did great for a year, but as the food started to come out so did other family members. So now I have the large Webber, I love it.

For the holiday I was given a large 20lb ham (leg) Smoker here I come. This will be my first pork leg. After doing some digging around on the net I realized I'm pretty lost.

This leg was received originally from a meet distributor, its sealed in plastic. I doubt that it's cured but are their any visual signs if it was cured?

If its not cured will I need to cure the ham? Or put in brine? What rub do you recommend? 

Thanks of all the help. SMOKE ON