What's your favorite side dish for smoked food?

Started by Smoking Duck, May 30, 2008, 03:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

I fixed some Sunday evening.

I only used 1 1/2 # potatos but kept the water and salt the same as for three # potatos. Was a tad salty. Next time, I will cut the water and salt in half.

They were great the next morning when wife diced them up with some ham and served them with fried eggs.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: sherlock on November 25, 2008, 07:33:54 AM
I fixed some Sunday evening.

I only used 1 1/2 # potatos but kept the water and salt the same as for three # potatos. Was a tad salty. Next time, I will cut the water and salt in half.

They were great the next morning when wife diced them up with some ham and served them with fried eggs.

If you cut the salt in half you won't be able to bring the boiling point up high enough to make the potatoes creamy. Keeping the potatoes uncut and unpeeled, the salt remains on the outside. If the outer layer of salt is too much, after the potatoes have cooked you may want to try dunking them in unsalted hot water, and then let them air dry. This should remove most if not all the salt that attaches to the skin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Ok Habs...but I think, correct me if I'm wrong, is...Sherlock just cut the poundage (if that's a word) of potatos in half and used the same amount of salt and water (as your recipe and found it salty) ...so...I think it's a good question...as I would only use a pound and a half of pots as well...? Can you cut the salt and water down (by volume of pots) and still achieve the creaminess?

Habanero Smoker

I misread shelock's post. I didn't see that he was also reducing the water. If you keep the ratio the same you will be alright.

Sherlock;
Sorry I misread your post. Reducing everything by half; the potatoes will be creamy, and save you some time and money. :) But I believe it will produce the same results, since the salinity is the same. The skin prevents most of the salt from penetrating into the potato so what is left is the fine dusting of salt that form on the potato. I'd be interested to see if it makes a difference. Please keep us posted.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)