Another ABT Success Story

Started by sherlock, December 01, 2008, 07:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Did my first batch of ABT's for Thanksgiving appetizers. Only bought a dozen peppers to try them.

WOW

They went quick. Everybody was wanting more.

Filled with homemade italian sausage, cream cheese and wrapped in bacon.

Smoked at 280 deg for an hour and a half.

Thanks everybody.

Tenpoint5

Sherlock,
Guess you didn't read all the posts very well. As I'm quite positive there is a warning with everyone that states to make mass quantities of ABT's as they WILL disappear quickly!!!

Glad they turned out for you. Did you put a rub on the outside of the bacon for that added little touch?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Good to hear the ABT's came out for ya.

I make what i call armadillo eggs.

12 jalapeno cored and seeded and stem removed cut on one side
2 lbs or more of pork sausage (you can use jimmy dean or bob evans)
1 block of philly cream cheese

core and remove seeds, place a sliver of cream cheese in the pepper. Wrap the sausage around the pepper to form an egg shape, wrap tight and even. Bake, smoke or deep fry until sausage is cooked. There you have armadillo eggs  ;D

nepas

sherlock

I guess I was following that age old adage to always leave them wanting more.  ;D

Next time I will make more. I will also try some with my fav rub on the outside.

Nepa
Armadillo Eggs. That sounds good. I will have to try that also.
[12 jalapeno cored and seeded and stem removed cut on one side]
Did you put a whole pepper in each one or was there another reason for the cut on one side?

Nathan

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: sherlock on December 01, 2008, 08:17:55 AM
I guess I was following that age old adage to always leave them wanting more.  ;D

Next time I will make more. I will also try some with my fav rub on the outside.

Nepa
Armadillo Eggs. That sounds good. I will have to try that also.
[12 jalapeno cored and seeded and stem removed cut on one side]
Did you put a whole pepper in each one or was there another reason for the cut on one side?

Nathan

The cut on the side of the pepper is to place the cream cheese into, then wrap the pepper with the cheese in it with the sausage. So when you have an egg shape sausage the pepper will be in the middle. then bake them, smoke or deep fry.

nepas

car54

Nepas,

I think that I will try your eggs. It sounds a lot less tedious then the ABT,s. How thick is the sausage? Have you ever had a Scottish egg(I think that is what they are called)? It is a hard boiled egg with sausage wrapped around it.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: car54 on December 01, 2008, 09:53:13 AM
Have you ever had a Scottish egg(I think that is what they are called)? It is a hard boiled egg with sausage wrapped around it.

I have made the Armadillo Eggs but this sounds interesting. I might have to give it a try.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sherlock

here I go again.

Another must try

Thanks
Nepas

Habanero Smoker

Nepas,

I think that I will try your eggs. It sounds a lot less tedious then the ABT,s. How thick is the sausage? Have you ever had a Scottish egg(I think that is what they are called)? It is a hard boiled egg with sausage wrapped around it.

That does sound interesting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokin Soon

Now that's got me thinkin about a Longinisa fatty with hard boiled eggs inside. Might be good !

NePaSmoKer

Nepas,

you can wrap the sausage as thick as you like. i try to get it around 1/4" thick all around the pepper.

nepas