Just got done with my first smoke and heres the result!!

Started by commonsense, December 26, 2008, 03:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

commonsense

You guys were right I just got done with my first smoke and it was awesome to say the least!

I smoked a whole chicken!  I brined it overnight with just brown sugar, kosher salt, and water.

I used alder wood and smoked it for roughly 5 hours at 210 degrees give or take.  I then finished it off in the oven for roughly

20 minutes at 300 degrees.  I forgot to mention I seasoned it before putting it in the smoker.  I rubbed olive oil all over it, seasoned salt,

pepper, and garlic peppered it. ( Under the skin as well!) Oh my God what a wonderful tasting chicken, I am shocked.  It was so smoky and

tasty.  I chopped up the left overs for sandwiches tomorrow. Oh I cooked it till the thermometer said 180 degrees in the thigh then took

it out and let it sit for 5 minutes before cutting it up.

I forgot to take a picture I was eating it while I was cutting! 

I also need advice on how to get the residue off the smoker element and right before it?  Any ideas? How clean does it need to be?

Thanks for all the advice!

Commonsense

Smoking Duck

Hey Commonsense,

I only remove the residue if the bisquettes start sticking.

If you need to remove it, try some denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol.  Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, I just scrape it off with a razor blade.

Congrats on the first smoke......didn't we tell you you'd be happy with the purchase ;D  I may lie to the wife to keep me outta trouble, but I NEVER lie about food  ;) ;D

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

For cleaning the puck burner and ramp, I also use a razor blade in a holder (type for scraping paint off windows) and it works great.  Never had to go much beyond that.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

I can't say that mine gets all that dirty, or I have not noticed, but I would use a razor knife if I needed to.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!