Butt and Brisket

Started by mikeraste, December 07, 2008, 04:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeraste

Hello all.

I have been a OBS owner now for 2 months and a Bradley forum reader for a few months more.  I love this site.  And I love the finished products that come out of my smoker.  Most of all I love all the help and suggestions that are on this forum.  You guys are great for us newbies.  I feel it is time to give something back.  The one thing I like the most are the pictures of wonderfully smoked products.  They inspire me to try different things.

So far I have smoked pork loin, salmon, and pork butt.  Today I am trying both pork butt and brisket at the same time.

I started Friday afternoon with trimming and rubbing the meats.  I decided to treat both the same for simplicity.  Rubbed olive oil and crushed garlic first then followed up with a standard rub. Then into a zip lock bag and into the fridge for 24 hours.

I preheated the OBS at 10 pm to 210 degrees.  I loaded a mixture of hickory and apple pucks to yield a total of 4 hours of smoking.  I took the meat out of the fridge and placed them on the racks ready for going into the smoker.

At 11 pm I put the meats into the smoker and went to bed.  Visions of smoked meats danced in my head.

Got up at 6 am to check on things.  Everything looked good.  Gave them a basting of apple cider, apple cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce, changed the water in the pan and closed them up again.

At 12 pm I pulled both meats out at the same time as they came up to 190 degree temperature I was hoping for.  Then ftc for a few more hours and this is what they looked like after pulling apart.

Again, thanks to all of you who have directly or indirectly helped me get to this point.  Even those who helped me with the computer related questions dealing with pictures and postings.  The smoker is great, but the forums are even better.

Smoking Duck

Welcome, Mikeraste!

The meats look awesome!  I agree 100%.........pics of the finished product are awesome.

Well done!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

Looks like you nailed it Mik! Having it done all at once on a mixed smoke. Great Job! Whats next?  ;D

Mr Walleye

Great food & great pictures Mike!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Sausage Maker

soylent green is people

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

Looks absolutly yummy........good job

nepas

Smoking Duck

Mike,

Not sure if you did it on this smoke or not, but I always place my pork butts above the brisket.  When the butts drip on to the brisket........mmmmmmmm, good.  It's not imperative it be done, but I like taking advantage of the fat of the butts to infuse with the brisket.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

mikeraste

Thanks for the tip Duck.  I did not do that, but I will next time.