Pizza recipe links for Smoking Duck

Started by deb415611, December 14, 2008, 03:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

If you're looking for NY style, take a look at this guy's site........it reminds me of anatomy and physiology class......most of it was blah, blah, blah until they brought in the female model.  He gets very technical but shows some incredible pizza and pizzarias.

SD

NY Style Pizza

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 05, 2009, 05:41:21 PM
If you're looking for NY style, take a look at this guy's site........it reminds me of anatomy and physiology class......most of it was blah, blah, blah until they brought in the female model.  He gets very technical but shows some incredible pizza and pizzarias.

SD

NY Style Pizza

Thanks for the post Duck,
Some good research material.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

pensrock

Thanks for the link. Good information.  :)

Ummm I'm still waiting for the female model?  ???

deb415611

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 05, 2009, 05:41:21 PM

SD

NY Style Pizza

Is Evelyne the model you were referring to ;)?  She is a true pizza master - she wrote the original pizza book  "The Pizza Book".  Unfortunately she wrote it before the internet made it easier to get ingredients.  The publisher made her dumb it down for the average person -All all-purpose flour instead of using higher protein flours where appropriate.  She learned from all the old pizza masters.  SD - she has a sicilian  recipe in her book.   - I'll try to remember to get it for you.  PM me in a week if I haven't done it.

Jeff's site is good.  I haven't read through it in a couple years so some things may have changed but... He believes in autolyse (letting the flour & water set for awhile after mixing) and long fermentation. If I remember correctly he has a good dough shaping section.   One of the other things that you will learn there is that NY Style is better with high heat.  His way to achieve this was to snip the lock off his oven so he could cook using the cleaning cycle of the oven.  Something I would not recommend.  It's a disaster waiting to happen. 

He is opening a pizza place in Atlanta,  not sure if it's open yet. 

Smoking Duck

Absolutely....Evelyne looks like she knows her way around making a pizza.  Actually, I was referring to the pizza as well.  They are things of beauty but the technical jargon was the blah, blah, blah for me.  Don't get me wrong.....I was amazed at how much he put into the making of the pizza dough....shows an incredible amout of passion but I have a habit of getting caught up in it and forget about the end goal.

Yea, when he first mentioned temps of 800F to do the pizzas, I figured he was doing them in a restaurant oven.  When I saw he had bypassed the oven's security feature to get temps he does, I saw a house fire in my future and I've been through one of them...one is enough.

I do think he would be extremely successful in opening a restaurant though........you can tell he has a passion for pizza!

I still enjoyed the post and will start looking for more as NY Style to me, is the best pizza  ;D

SD

deb415611

Don't get me wrong,  there is a lot of good info on his website.  I just don't like the whole oven thing.  If I'm ever in Atlanta I will make a point to get pizza because I also think he will be very successful.   

pensrock

Deb,
  At the bottom of his site he lists his favorite pizza places. There are several in New Haven. I'm not sure how far that is from you but it may be worth a road trip. One of them is his #3 of the best.
pens

deb415611

Been to Pepe's but not the others. It's really good.    My cousin & I are due for a trip down that way.  I'm hoping to try Modern or Sally's next.   Lines at these places are usually a couple of hours long.  So even though it's only 45 minutes away it is a good 1/2 day trip just for pizza. 

Smoking Duck

Deb,

If they take your name down for the waiting list, tell them your last name is Stallone.  I guarantee you that you'll get a seat faster and everyone kind of looks at you like you COULD be a movie star.  It always works for me.

SD

deb415611

SD,

Not sure if the movie star thing would help.  It's a line,  no names, when you get close to the front they might ask how many in your party.  Don't try to go to the front it could be dangerous -  though you are a little bigger & maybe scarier than I am :D. 

Deb

Smoking Duck

I'm quite certain I'm bigger and scarier (looking anyways).  ;D

Well, if you ever get to a place that takes names, give it a try.  Embarrases the heck outta my wife when I do it, but that's never really stopped me before  ;D

I sure wish I lived close enough to a great NY pizza place as you did.  We have a few decent pizza joints here but nobody around here does a NY style pizza.  :(

deb415611

I wish I had more time to do the pizza thing.  NYC is a day trip from here but it's hard to find the free time to do it...    :(

Habanero Smoker

There are quite a few NYC style pizza restauraunts located above NYC.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

A couple of years ago there was alot of talk in the bread world about Jim Lahey's no-knead bread recipe, now he has a no-knead pizza dough.  I haven't tried this yet but figure I would post just in case someone wants it.   It is a no machine needed recipe! 

http://tastingtable.com/entry_detail/99/Jim_Lahey_reveals_his_recipe_for_no-knead_pizza_dough_.htm

Wed. 21 Jan '09
Company Man
Jim Lahey reveals his recipe for no-knead pizza dough

Everything about Jim Lahey's new Chelsea restaurant, Co. (short for "company"), is meant to challenge your notion of a pizzeria. In fact, the word "pizza" appears only once at the restaurant, in a menu disclaimer stating "our pizzas are not always round."
Toppings inspired by non-Italian dishes like croque-monsieur, tarte flambé and pan con tomate spill over the edges of Lahey's bubbly, misshapen crusts. He's also experimenting with a tomato-less marinara made from red bell peppers.
It's no surprise that Lahey, the founder of Sullivan Street Bakery, would open a spot that feels more bread bar than pizza parlor. His breads appear in almost every dish, including soups (ribollita in winter, gazpacho in summer), salads and a rotating selection of crostini. "Pizza and bread are brothers, but have been separated over time," he says. "I'm trying to reunite them."
Even Lahey's pizza dough is based on his foolproof recipe for no-knead bread, which triggered a home-baking revolution when The New York Times published it in 2006. Here, he's adapted it for our readers, with one admonition: "Making the dough is easy," he says. "Handling it, tossing it—that's the tricky part."

No-Knead Pizza Dough
Adapted from Jim Lahey, Co.
Makes four 12-inch pizza crusts

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast (such as SAF brand)
1½ teaspoons salt
1½ cups water
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour with the yeast and salt. Add the water and stir until blended (the dough will be very sticky). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 12 to 24 hours in a warm spot, about 70°.
2. Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and lightly sprinkle the top with flour. Fold the dough over on itself once or twice, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into 4 pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Generously sprinkle a clean cotton towel with flour and cover the dough balls with it. Let the dough rise for 2 hours.
4. Stretch or toss the dough into the desired shape, cover with toppings and bake on top of a very hot pizza stone.
Co., 230 Ninth Ave. (at 24th St.); 212-243-1105 or co-pane.com

seemore

Deb, I am going to make a pizza dough for next weekend.  Which one of the links that you sent do you recommend for a beginner dough-maker?  THANKS!!
Mrs Seemore