Better forum search

Started by JNB, December 15, 2008, 03:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JNB

Most forum search engines, whether it be vBulletin, Simple Machines, phpBB, or most others seem to lack a really good search mechanism.  This is a technique I use from another forum.

In Google, type your desired search term followed by site:forum.bradleysmoker.com.  For example, if I wanted to find posts about cold smoking boxes, I'd enter cold smoking box site:forum.bradleysmoker.com into Google, and voila!  (BTW, there's about 164 results).

Now, because Google will search each of those terms, and I specifically only want the entire phrase considered as a whole, I can enter "cold smoking box" site:forum.bradleysmoker.com (note the quotation marks) and get 66 results targeted to my search in that wonderful Google way.   ;D

Mr Walleye

Thanks... Great Info there JNB!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

Yes! I played with this a little and it does do a better job than the search we are using in the simple machines software. Good find!

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

car54

Thanks JNB,

Great information. Yesterday I did a site search for "raw apple cake" and there were 33 pages to sift through. Today I did a google search and there were 56 hits. I found what I was looking for very quickly.

Brad

manxman

Manxman