How much will a "Cold Smoke" box help?

Started by sherlock, December 16, 2008, 01:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Would a cold smoke box allow me to maintain temps below 90 if the ambient temp is 90 deg? ???

pensrock

If ambient temp is 90 its hard to stay below 90 only using a cold smoke setup. Ice in the bottom of the tower will help some. I find that my tower stays close to ambient or slightly higher, maybe 5-10 degrees. Depending on how long I'm smoking and if the sun is shining on the tower, wind, other factors.

Gizmo

Quote from: sherlock on December 16, 2008, 01:26:14 PM
Would a cold smoke box allow me to maintain temps below 90 if the ambient temp is 90 deg? ???

As Pens mentioned, using some ice in the cabinet may help keep it below 90 but I believe it will climb higher.  The sun hitting the unit will raise the temperature so you will already be over 90.  I have experienced a problem where too much ice in the bottom will cause the smoke to settle on the bottom and back up into the smoke generator.  I put a small fan blowing into the smoke gen to help force the smoke up into the box. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Also smoking at dusk or dawn when the temperatures are cooling and the sun is not a factor helps. If I am cold smoking dry foods like cheese, nuts, vegetables etc I remove the "V" drip pan for better smoke circulation. Keeping the cold smoking box lower then the cabinet also improve smoke circulation.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sherlock

Thanks to you all.

I did not think about waiting until night time when the sun is down. Something so simple and I didn't even think about it. WOW, I guess thats old age for you.  ;D

I guess a cold smoke box is in order for me.
Thanks again
Nathan