Smoking Duck, Pensrock..Cold smoking cheese and almonds!!

Started by KyNola, December 20, 2008, 01:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

6 pounds of white cheddar, 1 pound of Tabasco Jack cheese, 3 pounds of almonds, 42 degrees ambient temp, ice in the bowl, another bowl of ice beside the water bowl, 3 hours of maple smoke working as we speak.  30 minutes into the smoke and 58 degrees in the smoker at the moment.  I'm a little nervous as this is my first real shot at cold smoking cheese.  Any suggestions Duck, Pens?

Next week my Bradley cold smoke box will be in from Tiny Tim but I couldn't wait for it to arrive as this is going to be Xmas gifts.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Sounds like your on a good roll Kynola with all the ice your cabinet should hang out about 60-64 and everything will be great.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Wouldn't you think?  41.5 degrees outside and already 73 degrees in the box according to the Maverick.  I have been known to fan the door!  Still, it's all good.

Thanks 10.5

KyNola

Smoking Duck

Sounds great, KY.  Don't be afraid to keep the door open a crack the entire time. You can use a bisquette to keep the door open a crack.  You'll still get plenty of smoke rolling over the cheese and nuts.  I almost talked the wife into letting me buy a brick of the Tabasco Jack..I love anything with Tabasco.  Let me know how it turns out

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

KyNola

SD,
I'm feeling pretty good about this.  Putting 3 hours of maple.  One hour left, 41 degrees ambient temp and 77 degrees in the box according to the Maverick.  I think I may be good to go for the duration.

Pretty happy about this excursion.  Thanks for your expertise.  The Tabasco Jack cheese..had to taste it before I put it in the smoker.  Really good but you would remember you ate it the next day! ;D  It has some heat.  Can't wait to see how it turns out smoked.

KyNola

Smoking Duck

That's awesome, KY!  No need to thank me; I really don't have expertise, just experience.  Expertise would suggest I'm smart  :o ;D

If you think of taking any pics, I'd love to see them!

SD

pensrock

Sorry I was not here to help out but it sounds like the others got you covered. As long as the tower temp is below 90-95 degrees you should be fine.
Three hours smoke should be a good place to start. Everyone likes a different level of smoke.
The only problem I can see you are going to have is waiting to dive in.  I would wrap it up and wait at least two weeks before eating. You need to allow the smoke on the outside to mellow and work its way inside. If you try it too early chances are you will not like it.
Sounds like you got it under control.
pens

firerescueman

QuoteI couldn't wait for it to arrive as this is going to be Xmas gifts.

Sounds to me like you have it covered......  only one problem I see:  These may end up being New Years gifts instead of Christmas gifts.  They will NEED that time to mellow so they don't taste like an ash tray.

I have some that I smoked about 10 days ago and it still tastes nasty......  But I know it will eventually taste really good.

good luck,

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

Smoking Duck