Power requirements for BS

Started by Stoker, January 04, 2005, 02:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoker

I hope to be receiving my BS by the end of this week.  Would like to know if a dedicated electricial circuit is required, and if anyone has had a problem using a ground fault protected circuit with the unit? Also has anyone used their unit off a generator and if so what wattage generator would be required?

JJC

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Forum.  You are lucky--the guys (and gals) here are friendly and top-notch in terms of knowledge!

You don't need a dedicated circuit and I use my BS on a ground fault circuit with no problems.  I would suggest not plugging anythin more than a light bulb or two into the same circuit as the BS while it is running.  Also, if you use an extension cord, make sure it is a heavy duty one, not the typical household variety.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Stoker

Thanks for the quick response.  Look forward to exchanging info.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />I use my on a 50 foot extension cord #12.

http://rminor.com
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Stoker,

Im with Olds on this.  I do the same as him. <b><i><font color="blue">BUT YOU BETTER USE A GOOD 12 gauge extension cord~~~Heavy Duty~~~NOT from WalleyWorld.</font id="blue"> </i> </b> Don't put your $400 smoker on a $15 extension cord.  If you want to save money and you are handy go down to Home Depot and make your own with only the the length you need.  The shorter the better. But use at least 12ga wire and good connectors.  If you do this you will have no problem.

Welcome to the gang.  Make freinds and have fun...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

bsolomon

I beleive the wattage requirements are as follows:

Bisquette burner - 125 watts
Cabinet heater - 500 watts

I don't know what additional draw there is when the bisquette feeder cycles so plan your generator sizing accordingly.

Stoker

thanks, someone told me that I would need at least 1800 W generator to run the unit, maybe they were talking about two units[?]

Chez Bubba

Generator-wise, I've run 3 units on a 5000w and 4 units on a 7500w. Both seemed to struggle at times when all the units kicked in at the same time and the temp did drop because they weren't getting enough juice.

For preferred performance, I would suggest no less than a 2500w for one smoker. General draw is one thing, but peak draw is another. (That is, assuming you're looking for the same perfomance as a land line. If you don't mind extra cooking time, it's not as important.)

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?