Breakfast Sausage with Fresh Ginger and Sage

Started by waycoolcat, June 19, 2014, 04:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waycoolcat

Today I made 6 pounds of loose patty Breakfast Sausage with Fresh Ginger and Sage from Mark Ruhliman's book "Charcuterie".
These were the players:

Then I mixed up Star San and dipped all of the parts of the mixer. I put the plastic parts in the refrigerator and the small die, cutter and auger in the freezer. I also dipped the mixing paddle and used some of the Star San to wipe the bowl and counter top off.

Then I ground it into an ice bath.

Here is the final product. Juicy with that fresh Sage and the zing of Ginger.
I want to be a better carnivore!

tailfeathers

Good lookin' sausage wccat! Guess I better add that book to my collection!!!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Tenpoint5

The Finished product look good. What concerns me is the grinding picture. The meat shouldn't be smearing that much on the first grind. I would suggest freezing the meat chunks and possibly using a larger grinding plate for the first grind.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

cobra6223

waycoolcat

Now I'm going to portion it off on a silpat sheet and fully cook them in the oven. Later, when they're cooled I'll vacuum seal and freeze them. Then I just have to get packs out, thaw and brown and serve.

Saber 4

Looks good and I like the idea of the ginger.

waycoolcat

Vacuum sealed for freezing. Then later just brown and serve.

Smoker John

Definitely convenient not having to use casings, looks good.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

pjplovedog

That's a top notch recipe.  I've made the same one from Ruhlman's book, and froze it.  I didn't try the "brown and serve" approach, which is a great idea.
I liked the ginger as well. 
Thanks for sharing!!!
Sometimes a bulk "sausage" is so handy to have on hand, and quick and easy to make as well!
PJP 

WoodlawnSmoker

This sounds really appealing, I'll have to try it.

waycoolcat

The size of patties I made were about 3/4" thick and 2 1/2" round. I baked them for 30 minutes at 350*F. They are fully cooked, but not browned at that point. I got the idea from buying Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage patties.