TURKEY EMERGENCY!!! NEED HELP NOW!!!!

Started by firerescueman, December 23, 2008, 01:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firerescueman

Hey all,

Here's my dilemma....   I am cooking a 14lb turkey on my Traeger grill.  The turkey had been cooking at about 300 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours when I had to leave for an errand.  When I left,  the grill was still cooking at 300......  when I got back,  the fire was out and the temp was at 75.  I was gone for about an hour,  but I don't know how much of that hour was spent with the fire out.  The bird is still lukewarm to the touch.

Should I be worried about serving this tonight?   I have moved it to finish in the house oven,  but I don't want to make anyone sick.   The temp shouldn't have been down any more than an hour.

HELP!   am I OK here?

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

sherlock

Not an expert but I feel sure it will be ok.

:)

KyNola

Jeff,
I too am no expert but I think you're safe as well.  I doubt that it was in a lowered temp environment long enough to cause you any problems.   Moving it into the house to complete was a good move.

KyNola

FLBentRider

I think it should be ok. It was not that long.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Dex

Quote from: firerescueman on December 23, 2008, 01:06:32 PM
when I got back,  the fire was out and the temp was at 75. 

Gotta love those electric Bradley Smokers  ;)

firerescueman

thanks all....

I guess I am just overly cautious.....  though I would always rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks again,

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

car54

My gut feeling is that it is safe but if your gut statrs hurting please tell us.

Brad

Smoking Duck

Quote from: car54 on December 23, 2008, 02:23:41 PM
My gut feeling is that it is safe but if your gut statrs hurting please tell us.

Brad

I concur but please tell us after seeking medical attention  ;D  I would think you would be fine Jeff.  Do you know what the IT of the bird was when you got back?

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

firerescueman

Well,   we all ate the turkey.....  and nobody is sick.....  at least not yet!  ::)  ;)

This was the absolute BEST turkey I have ever eaten....   better than smoked or fried,  and cooked in only about 3 hours!

If you own a traeger grill,  I highly recommend you buy a turkey cannon.  It works just like the beer can chickens,  only it's modified for turkeys.   Fill the tube with your favorite beverage,  insert into turkey, and grill until it's done.  THAT'S IT!     Moist,  delicious,  and full of flavor all the way through....  without injecting any liquid into the bird at all.

thanks for all the help folks.....  Merry Christmas to you all!

Jeff