CHEESE IN SAUSAGE

Started by marauder11, October 28, 2009, 10:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Quote from: Caribou on November 02, 2009, 06:14:55 AM
Ou812,
I get mine from Butcher-Packer and it has been very good.
Cabela's carries it now too.
Carolyn

Good to know. I get allot of stuff from Butcher Packer, but never cheese.

Frisco is just to close.

marauder11

OK so i have looked around where i live and can not find high temp cheese. The butcher i buy my meat from says he doesn't put cheese in any of his sausage. The grocery stores don't have it. I can't order on line because it needs refrigeration. Will normal cheese work or will it wreck the sausage. I am getting ready to make some smokies and would like cheese in them.

NePaSmoKer

Most of the time high temp cheese is bought from butchers or suppliers. I have used regular store bought cheese but in minimal amounts. The fats in the cheese will fat out and make the sausage gooey. Try not to exceed 175/180* smoker temp.

nepas

marauder11

So if i stay around the 160 mark it should be OK or do you recommend to wait till i find the high  temp.

NePaSmoKer

You could do the 160* but the sausage is going to take long to get to the IT. Just keep an eye on it and you should be fine.

nepas

wyogoob

I get my high-temp cheese from P & S Seasonings. I like the Jalapeno variety the best.

This antelope summer sausage was made with jalapeno and cheddar high-temp cheese.

Life's been good to me so far.

Tenpoint5

That looks really good there Goob!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Now that is what I mean!  A marriage of venison, japs, and cheese - whatever could be wrong with that!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

wyogoob

The high temp cheese I use comes in 1/4" chunks. If using cheese in sausage, I like to mix the meat and everything else together and  grind thru a 3/8" plate. The sausage depicted below is deer, and pork naturally, and was ground thru a 3/16" plate. It has a mild "cheesey" flavor but I don't care for the appearance. I like it the old fashion way with large chunks of fat and/or cheese:

marauder11

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

wyogoob

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 29, 2009, 06:16:16 PM
I get my high temp cheese here http://www.butcher-packer.com/

JT

Thanks for the tip. Butcher-Packer's hi-temp cheese is much cheaper than my supplier.