Hello all. First smoke today in my new OBS.

Started by tnbassman, January 10, 2009, 06:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Quote from: tnbassman on January 11, 2009, 08:53:39 AM

Hope you don't mind a little diversion to this thread tnb but I was wondering what the other smokers here do and your picture is a good example for my question.

I noticed that you loaded your box with the lowest two racks spaces occupied.  I believe I did this when I first started.  I tend to stay up higher prefering the middle and upper racks (I have a 6 rack) and will only fill the lowest rack position as a last resort. 

My reasoning is because I want to keep the meat just above the temperature sensor for better heat control, and I believe the heat in the middle position is more consistant than right next to the heating element and V-Tray.  This is really obvious when doing jerky as the bottom tray, left corner starts cooking when the other trays are just breaking a sweat. 

So, what are the other's preferences to rack location.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

Giz, I tend to use the top 2 on my DBS going on the adage that heat and smoke rise. But I think it's more of a personal preference.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

You nailed it Giz!

When I first started I also tried to use the bottom rack. Now I use every rack except the bottom unless I need it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tnbassman

Dont know that I intentionally selected the bottom two racks but I am gonna try the middle to upper ones this weekend because of the heat rising and better temp control theories.

HCT

Welcome tnbass, the brisket looks great.

Hey Giz, thanks for that tip, I never looked at it that way.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"